Is there any amp for movies(DD/DTS)
Jun 2, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm assuming you'd need some kind of DAC/Amp combo then. What is your source? Are you gonna be playing this out of your computer?

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 11
The issue you run into there is that Dolby/DTS is designed for multichannel use. Most headphones are two channel only. There have been some multichannel amps and headphones on the market, but I know little about them.

If you might be interested in a two channel amp, take a look at the tubed models. Tubes are sensational for dialog and that's most of the audio for a film.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm using a Philips SBC-HD1502U. It has anlog and digital in and can output normal Stereo or Dolby Headphone decoded signals. So you can hear 5.1 from DVDs (DTS and DD ist supported) or virtual 5.1 from stereo sources (Dolby Pro Logic). You can also get a virtual 2.0 speaker setup with this amp. It sonics are not great compared to real big headphone amps but it is absolutely great for movies and a lot cheaper that the big stuff like Beyerdynamic headtracking.

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 11
JVC SU-DH1

14573.JPG

Friend of mine has the Philips SBC HP1500, but it sounds awfull. No body and very thin sounding. Have to check it out with a headphone who has more body to it, maybe that will fix it. But was not impressed a single bit.

philips_hp1500_s_05042004.jpg

AKG and Sony had some surround simulating headphone/amp combo's that where wireless. No experience with it.

pd_akg_hearo999_030506.jpg
ann_sony_ds8000.gif

Also some Yamaha surround receivers has silent cinema build in that does a great job. Had a opportunity once to have a listen and was not bad at all

RX-Z11-195.jpg

Beyerdynamic Headzone

beyer_headzone.jpg

And the ultimate solution ($10.000) is the Studer BRS (Binaural Room Scanning) Processor.

ann_studer_brs.gif

But when using a PC, use powerDVD to get both Dolby Headphone as SRS truesurround. On my old sony laptop the dolby headphone was very impressive. Still looking for a simular product for mac (dolby headphone AND video upscalling).

Oh, or get a 5.1 surround sound card for your PC and a 5.1 headphone like for example the zalman

Zalman-ZM-RS6F-1.jpg

Or have a look over here for some DIY surround action

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Well, since you're doing computer as source, I think your best bet would be software decoding of those formats, and then either use Dolby Headphone, or another headphone surround mixer, then send it to a good DAC, and then into an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back