Is there a way to tune sound in windows to your hearing?
Oct 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheMiniShady

New Head-Fier
I just found a setting called Adapt Sound on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I was a bit skeptical because it said it would "increase sound quality". The way is works is that you wear your headphones and it plays quiet beeping sounds at various frequencies, one at a time. If you can hear it, you select "Yes", and if you can't, you select No. Once it knows which sounds your ears can hear through your specific headphones, it sets an EQ specifically designed for your headphones and your hearing. I found that it made a significant difference. This was without any special equipment, straight from the headphone jack on the phone. Now I am interested in finding a way to do this in some audio player on Windows. is it possible? Does anybody know any programs that will do this? Thanks!

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know of one that does it automatically in the way that the setting on your phone did, but all it's doing is applying an EQ which you can certainly do manually in most music software on Windows.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Here is a tutorial, which should help you get better results than just guessing what it should sound like while listening to music. In that tutorial, you use SineGen to play tones through the equalizer, so you can tune the equalizer settings until the tones at each frequency sound the same loudness. When you sweep the frequency of the tone, it is easy to hear where the peaks and troughs in your headphone's frequency response are.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 5
  I don't know of one that does it automatically in the way that the setting on your phone did, but all it's doing is applying an EQ which you can certainly do manually in most music software on Windows.

Here is a tutorial, which should help you get better results than just guessing what it should sound like while listening to music. In that tutorial, you use SineGen to play tones through the equalizer, so you can tune the equalizer settings until the tones at each frequency sound the same loudness. When you sweep the frequency of the tone, it is easy to hear where the peaks and troughs in your headphone's frequency response are.

You might want to talk to a doctor before doing this as it can cause severe hearing loss. If you compensate for areas of your hearing that are missing or damaged by raising the volume at those frequencies you can certainly further damage your hearing. Short term I have no doubt you would hear things you have not been hearing and that would probably sound much better but the danger in this is too great as it can cause long term hearing loss at other frequencies.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 5
  You might want to talk to a doctor before doing this as it can cause severe hearing loss. If you compensate for areas of your hearing that are missing or damaged by raising the volume at those frequencies you can certainly further damage your hearing. Short term I have no doubt you would hear things you have not been hearing and that would probably sound much better but the danger in this is too great as it can cause long term hearing loss at other frequencies.

I didn't think about using it to correct for problems in your own hearing. It's meant to correct problems in the headphone's response, not your ears. It would certainly be difficult to do that properly with such a hearing problem. In that case you could get someone else with good hearing to determine the right adjustments, so at least the sound reaching your ears would be flat.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 5

I have been doing this for many years with no issues. The trick is not to overcompensate, at the highest frequencies where you know that your hearing is gone for good anyway.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back