Is there a way to save this ATH-MSR7b cable?
Dec 23, 2022 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pcsgcs

Head-Fier
The headphones dropped on the floor accidentally from the kitchen table and now the left connector of the 3.5 jack cable has this crack below the pin. If plugged in normally, the driver doesn’t emit sound. However, if I put in some force and hold it tight inside then it does and sounds fine.

I’ve contacted AT’s customer service giving them a detailed explanation of what happened and the only response I got was a cropped screenshot showing the pricing of a brand new pair (around 40eur for single-ended and 60eur for balanced).

Now I’m using the balanced cable with an adaptor to 3.5 but I’m curious to see if these can be fixed somehow. I’m kinda surprised a little crack like this can cause this disruption between both connectors because the gold pin looks as new, it surely hasn’t suffered any bending, and also the part that suffered the crack is just a plastic cover that has nothing to do with the main cable function. My first idea was to get some super glue and carefully apply the paste on that tiny crack to slap it back in together but sounds a bit risky if the paste doesn’t apply correctly and once plugged in it gets stuck inside the driver connector or some weird stuff like that.

Here’s a pic of how it looks like:
DSC_0194_3.JPG

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 6
Are you able to open it up and inspect the wire/solder joint?

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Are you able to open it up and inspect the wire/solder joint?
I don’t really have that in mind. If there is no easy fix I will leave it as is.

I looked at the left pin just now more carefully and I gotta say there’s more to it than that little crack at the bottom. If I rotate it 360 degrees, I can see that brown plastic being bent in a weird way leaving the top part like a sin wave of some sort instead of being straight (horizontally) like it is on the right pin. There is a gap visible on one of the sides causing what I just described. Will repost the pic below showing the gap.

Something worth noting that I forgot to mention when writing the open post message is that once plugged in you have to lift the left connector upwards a bit in order for the driver to reproduce sound otherwise, it doesn’t work. Just applying force to plug it inside is not enough, it has to have some tilt as well.

DSC_0194_32.jpg

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 6
If you're not able to open it, you can try the glue--the cable is otherwise worthless. Just wipe off any excess and let it fully dry.

Other option is an aftermarket cable. Not sure what Amazon is like there--here, cables can be had for $25 and we can return them for any reason.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 6
If you glue it, I'd try pinching it into position and use a rubber band to keep pressure like a clamp. Then use Loctite Gel, which isn't drippy so you can work it in and smooth it over in the minute it takes to set up. Then leave it clamped for an hour at least to really setup.

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 6
If you glue it, I'd try pinching it into position and use a rubber band to keep pressure like a clamp. Then use Loctite Gel, which isn't drippy so you can work it in and smooth it over in the minute it takes to set up. Then leave it clamped for an hour at least to really setup.
I doubt that would work cause the plastic having the crack is really tough. Can't even put it in place with my bear hands. Maybe using something like pliers after applying the super glue might work but can't be so sure. To be honest, now that I think about it, not sure how the hell did it crack the way it did. And I kinda gave up on trying to fix it since I used it flawlessly with the adaptor to 3.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back