is there a way to put in a firewire connector to the alien DAC?
Feb 10, 2008 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dragonchi

New Head-Fier
instead of the usb connector.

well... not just replacing the connector but also the actual DAC to one that supports 24 bit /192kHz sample.

poor mans apogee... hahah

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, build another DAC. I haven't seen absolutely any firewire DACs actually, but there might be some out there. Just because it's USB doesn't mean it can't support 24/196, the built-in DACs to the PCM270x don't, but when used as a USB receiver for another DAC, there is no problems.

Not sure if it's what you're trying to say, but PCM270x definitely cannot receive more than 16/48 over USB whether it's output to the DAC or digital outs.

I believe this is largely a limitation of USB1.1 and the way isochronous transfers are used in the USB Audio Class. It is possible for USB DACs to do 24/96, but only with a custom implementation or a USB 2.0 device. There don't seem to be any ASICs that can do it yet, so it's mostly out of reach for DIYers.

dragonchi: Unfortunately it's not possible. There don't seem to be any easy-to-use Firewire audio interface chips out there for us to design a Firewire DAC around. Also, the Firewire interface for audio is very different than the same interface on USB that the Alien's main chip implements. You'd definitely need an entirely different solution to do it. If you're in need of a Firewire DAC, you'll probably have to go with a commercial product. You'll probably only find such products marketed to professional musicians.

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 5
thats what i was afraid of. i guess they weren't kidding when they said USB is so widespread because it was easy to implement. the reason why USB is so much slow than USb is because USb has to recieve a response from the host first before doing anything. firewire doesn't do that. at least thats what i gather from wikipedia.

boo, i was thinking of doing this for my project at school. guess it'll have to stick to the basics.

thanks for the quick replies
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back