Is there a way to 'force' an MP3 player to support the FLAC format?
Oct 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

EternalEmpire

100+ Head-Fier
Or more specifically, the Creative Zen X-Fi (old model)?

It's pretty annoying that some of my stuff is in FLAC and not MP3 and because Creative don't support the format (even though it would probably take them no time to publish a firmware update to support it) it means I can only listen to certain albums when I'm on the go.

I figure there's probably a way to force the player to support the file type (even if through third party software) and I was wondering if anyone here knew a way to do it.

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 16
Uh, I guess you only download music since it seems you've never heard of transcoding your music...

There are a tonne of programs that will let you transcode flac to mp3... Foobar2000 to name just one. If you want to have flac on your mp3 player because you think it sounds better... Well, you're a fool, but you could check rockbox.org to see if they have a build for your player.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 16
Transcoding to WAV will give you all the data FLAC did... just in a much bigger container, with no tags, ect.

+1 Transcode to MP3.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 16
I've tried to find such programs in the past but they all seemed to be subscription based, I didn't realise Foobar2000 had that functionality. And I don't want to use FLAC on my MP3 player, it just happens to be that I only have some albums in FLAC and therefore can never listen to it on anything but my PC.

Quote:
Uh, I guess you only download music since it seems you've never heard of transcoding your music...

There are a tonne of programs that will let you transcode flac to mp3... Foobar2000 to name just one. If you want to have flac on your mp3 player because you think it sounds better... Well, you're a fool, but you could check rockbox.org to see if they have a build for your player.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll change the format with Foobar2000 if that indeed is possible.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I suggest using dBpoweramp to convert your files. For windows its indisputably the best.

On this, of all websites, do you really want to throw out the term "indisputably" the best?
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:

A little harsh, he was just asking a question :p

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 16
No, there are no way.
As the Creative Zen X-Fido not have software to decode FLAC encoded audio data. The only way would be if you in some way could add FLAC decoding to the firmware, or fully replace the firmware (Rockbox or like).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back