Is there a true tube amplifier that will work with both HD650 and Grados?
Nov 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ohcrapgorillas

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious, because of their significantly different impedances, I know a lot of amps only do one or the other. Is there one that would fit both?

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 17
MAD EAR+ 

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 17
  Just curious, because of their significantly different impedences, I know a lot of amps only do one or the other. Is there one that would fit both?

Hybrid headphone amplifier, uses both tubes and solid state.
Does the headphone amplifier have to have tubes?
Did you have a budget for this new headphone amplifier?

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 17

Hybrid headphone amplifier, uses both tubes and solid state.
Does the headphone amplifier have to have tubes?
Did you have a budget for this new headphone amplifier?

It's more of a curiosity than a suggestion for a purchase, and I'm asking about pure tube--no hybrids. I know there are hybrids out there that will get the job done, Project Sunrise II comes to mind. Personally, I think I'm pretty set on the Asgard 2, but a future upgrade to OTL might be nice for the HD650.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 17
  It's more of a curiosity than a suggestion for a purchase, and I'm asking about pure tube--no hybrids. I know there are hybrids out there that will get the job done, Project Sunrise II comes to mind. Personally, I think I'm pretty set on the Asgard 2, but a future upgrade to OTL might be nice for the HD650.

Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/amp, $255 + shipping.
Mine arrived last week.
Plenty of juice to drive my 600-Ohm DT990s, the HD650s are only 300-Ohm
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 17
  I'm guessing the tubes are hidden under that blue thing

Nope, no tubes, but as the OP is thinking of getting the Asgard II (no tube), I'm guessing he is willing go tubeless.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 17

Nope, no tubes, but as the OP is thinking of getting the Asgard II (no tube), I'm guessing he is willing go tubeless.

I am. But that is not the purpose of this thread, in which I'm just trying to ask whether or not there exists a pure tubeless amp that can power both HD650 and Grados.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 17
  I am. But that is not the purpose of this thread, in which I'm just trying to ask whether or not there exists a pure tube amp that can power both HD650 and Grados.

Fixed it for you :wink:

Bottlehead Crack?
DNA Sonett?

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 17
I am using a LD MkIII for both my Grado's and HD600's and it does a fine job with both, probably a little better with the Senn's, but I don't feel I am dropping a whole lot with my 325i either. The trick was finding the right gain setting, once I did that, they both started sounding real good.

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 17
For low impedance cans what you want is a tube amp with transformers in the output stage.  i.e. Mapletree Ear+ HD, Bottlehead S.E.X., Woo WA6/WA7

Output transformer less amps (OTL) have a high impedance output and are only really suited for high impedance cans. i.e. Bottlehead Crack, Woo WA2/WA3, Schiit Valhalla

As you may notice the extra iron in the output stage usually bumps the price up by a few hundred dollars.  I just ordered the Bottlehead S.E.X. amp as i am a DIY'er at heart, will be using it to drive my HD650's and MS-Pro's.

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 17
OK - I'll chance getting this deleted as shilling my own product, but seriously - there's an easy answer to your question: there are many pure tube amps available.  As someone else mentioned, you need output transformers to handle various load impedances.  That's the only thing that can be made to equally match output between the extremes of 300 ohm Sennheisers versus 32 ohm Grados.

Mapletree makes fantastic stuff using this principle.  There's also an excellent amp called the L-2 by ECP Audio.  Tyll mentioned it on innerfidelity.com when he was reviewing the Abyss.  He had the L-2 paired with the HD800's, and stated in so many words, that it takes all the high-end harshness out of the HD800.  There's an offering on Beezar (me) called the Torpedo, also designed by ECP Audio - it's primarily a DIY-kit.  It's a parafeed design, which is a term used to describe how the output transformers are connected into the circuit.  The Bottlehead Mainline is also built on the same principle (parafeed).  Notably, the L-2 and Mainline use the same signal tubes - 6C45's.

Just MHO, but output transformers - even relatively cheap ones - blow away the output coupling capacitors in OTL amps.  There's no comparison with the transparency and detail.  Output coupling capacitors put a fog over the entire music signal.

Mods, please delete if this was inappropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back