Is there a story behind the Sony R10s?
Aug 29, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by jatinder
What about the R10 range of electronics:

MDR-R10 -- the worlds best headphones?

???-R10 -- one of the worlds best CD transports?

???-R10 -- hybrid electrostatic speakers - one of the worlds best speakers?

And people say that Sony don't make high-end components!

--Jatinder

MDR-R10 dynamic headphone:

sony_mdr-r10.jpeg

SS-R10 electrostatic speaker:

9041CMSON-IMG-SS-R10.jpg

Sony CDP-R10 transport:

sony_cdp-r10.jpeg

Sony DAS-R10 DAC:

sony_das-r10.jpeg

Personally I think Sony is fully capable of taking every audio company out there to school if they felt like it...they're just too lazy to do it.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #18 of 24
Sony is a genius of a company. it knows its market and has excellent PR skills. If it were to attempt to take on and dominate all their competition much the same way as microsoft has done, it would fail. instead, it encourages and co-exists with its competition and has become one of the most dominating, diverse, yet loved brand in the world.

Aug 30, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 24
Funny - to me Sony IS a lot like Microsoft... in a less than flattering way. Sony does have much better GUI, though.

Aug 31, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #20 of 24
I know someone has the full r-10 story somewhere. I read it I swear. :p

Biggie.

Aug 31, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

MDR-R10 dynamic headphone:
SS-R10 electrostatic speaker:
Sony CDP-R10 transport:
Sony DAS-R10 DAC:

Personally I think Sony is fully capable of taking every audio company out there to school if they felt like it...they're just too lazy to do it.
evil_smiley.gif

Holy Moly, I didn't even knew that those things even existed!
It's because Sony knows they can make so much more money on Mid-fi and Low-fi stuff than these money no object audiophile products that they don't produce too many of them. However, Japan and Europe has many Sony Audiophile products that we never get here in the US, this is the reason why many here have a bad opinion of them. Of course, most of these high end products are not made by Sony but by outside contractors.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 24
The reason people have a bad opinion of Sony is that the corporation is so big that bureaucratic intertia is the order of the day. Customer service can be wonderful one day, and non-exitent the next. They're not easy on dealers either...while they cater to the large electronics chains, a smaller dealer who wants to carry the Sony line is in for some rough sledding.

Sony makes electronic products that range from crap to outstanding. But their corporate culture makes them a royal pain in the ass if you ever have to deal with the company directly.

Sep 1, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #23 of 24
They also like to use non standard connectors etc. on some of their recording stuff, so they don't easily interface with other makers equipment. Some taper friends I have complained about that to me and were asking if I could make connectors for them.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 24
R10 family products, i.e CDP-R10 etc, were released to celebrate CD's 10th anniversary. few people know about MDR-R10, but even less know about other R10 family products, mainly due to its $$$$$ price range. of all the R10 products, the headphone is the cheapest. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back