Is there a "staple" Stevie Ray Vaughan album?
Mar 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
I feel like every time I'm at an audio show, somebody is playing the same (wonderful, and I think live) recording of Stevie Ray Vaughan - is there a single CD that is considered to be definitive? If so, which?

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
I feel like every time I'm at an audio show, somebody is playing the same (wonderful, and I think live) recording of Stevie Ray Vaughan - is there a single CD that is considered to be definitive? If so, which?

Well, it's not live, but I think there's a good chance that you've been listening to Couldn't Stand the Weather.  A great album and a phenomenal recording.

Oh... and a few weeks ago I saw the LP jacket framed on the wall of a high-end shop in Gothenburg, Sweden.  I don't think that's the first time I've seen something similar with that album, either.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 3
I find SRV a bit mixed. A couple of his songs have been permanently on my 5-star lists for years, but most of the tracks where he sings otherwise I don't care for. I prefer his rendition of Hendrix's Voodoo Chile Blues and Little Wing. Chitlins Con Carne too, which is very mellow.  The two tracks I like where he does sing are The Sky is Crying and Tin Pan Alley. For albums, I'd pick The Sky is Crying as a good intro to him rather than any "Greatest Hits" compilation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back