Is there a service that will rip CDs to FLAC (or any format)
Oct 6, 2014 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jhe888

New Head-Fier
I have a large-ish CD library from the pre-streaming/pre-iTunes days. I have ripped most of them to various lossy formats. That was time consuming and I don't care to do it again, but would like to have FLAC files of my music. Is there a service that will do this? Would it be cheaper than buying high-res versions of my music?

On another note, my experiments with re-ripping some CDs makes me think that FLACs will be about 3 to 5 times the size of MP4s or MP3s. Is that about right?

Also, I used EAC to do the few I have ripped to FLAC. Can it go find the tag data itself, or do I then I have get/edit tag data with another program? Thanks.

Thanks.

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 9
You can use iTunes Match on the lossy files you already have, and it will give them to you on the iTunes store. They aren't lossless though.

You can just put a CD in and then go do something else while it rips, so it doesn't have to actively consume a lot of your time.

You can use freedb, which is available as a plugin for EAC. It is optional in the installation, so if you didn't select it you may have to install it again.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 9
  I meant a service that you can send your CDs to and get FLAC files back from. I know how to do it - I don't want to do it myself. Thanks. 

Never heard of such a service considering it's a generally straightforward DIY job. Maybe ask a neighbor's kid to do it for you and pay him a quarter or half dollar for every CD? I mean, even if such a service existed, the shipping alone would be expensive. Might as well pay some kid to do it, just make sure he understands that you want it in lossless and he should manually put in the tags and album art in two resolutions (one as large as possible for tablets and such, one for non-mainstream DAPs since they don't use high-res screens that smartphones use).

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Such services exist, but mailing your CDs to them will require your own effort and money on top of the service fee. Some of them don't even send your CDs back to you! I would never even consider it.

I recommend just using dBpoweramp. Unless you are finicky with custom tags, etc., you can pop in each CD and have the software load the tags and artwork from the Internet, quickly rip to FLAC and any other format you desire, and verify that your rip is identical to others, all automatically.

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks, all.

I have done a few in EAC, which rips easyily enough, but which isn't the best tag editor or grabber. I'll try dBpoweramp, and see if that makes the process easier.

Or hire some 13 year old - that is a good idea.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 9
EAC can pull data from online repositories using auto-detect functions. Just click the freeDB button when a CD is in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back