Is there a portable with a digital ouptut such as coax?
Oct 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zida

500+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if there are any portable players that have a digital output for connecting to a DAC when you're back home, or any players that have a 3rd party add-on to achieve this. I'm thinking mostly for what I can use to connect to my DAC when I'm listening to music in bed, and hoping I won't have to fall back on a netbook to be able to do this.

Thanks

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 8
The old iRiver H-something has optical outs. Some old Discmen have those too, but with no real anti-shock.
Today the Sony PCM-D50 has an optical out, but it is a semi-pro recorder, so.

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I think the answer you are looking for can be found in this thread.

Damn, thanks. I'm frankly a little surprised there's not even a digital-out dock for ipods. It certainly seems possible, and I think the Peachtree iDecco I auditioned allowed for docking an ipod to bypass its internal dac+amp. It's possible it just bypassed the amp and I'm mistaken, but I hope that's not the case, because that was what made me decide I needed to upgrade my dac.

EDIT:

I've read around a bit and it seems that to achieve a digital out from an iPod you need a particular chip in your device, one that apple has to allow a company to use because their digital data is their own property, and they're not afraid to sue over it.

/basic gist whilst probably being partially incorrect, but close enough.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Yea, I saw that thing. It seems unfortunately priced. I think I might be best off buying a netbook or old iRiver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Digital-iPhone-Quality-Output/dp/B0049MOK92

Technical Details

1. Maximum audio fidelity via coaxial S/PDIF and optical TOSLINK digital audio outputs plus stereo RCA connectors for analogue audio
  2. High quality video output via component, composite and S-video sockets
  3. Conveniently charges iPod / iPhone while docked
  4. Supportive high back allows easy manual control of iPod / iPhone while docked
  5. Clearsound™ digital end-to-end technology extracts the raw digital audio and processes it on the dock for high quality digital output
  6. Superior quality audio DAC for stereo RCA outputs

Let's keep this on the QT, OK ? 80 Brit pounds is way over my credit limit, but what the hell - we are only young once, arent we ?

Sadly, some $%#@ has already reviewed the thing, leading me to wonder if there will be any left for you and I to order:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/av-accessories/pure-digital-i-20-921473/review

If you can hang on a little longer, Fiio are bringing out something similar for $29.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back