Is there a Mapletree Ear+ junior?
Nov 10, 2011 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rex0x0

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for something (tube preferable but open to anything) for my rs 2 either DIY or manufactured. I really like the Ear+HD and but unfortunately it's about twice as much as I can spend. I've been looking for a used model but nothing so far. So now I'm wondering is there something out there that has a similar synergy with grados and sound signature? As close as I can get to the ear+ sound for $300 or less.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 13
I have the MAD EAR+ HD and love it intensely. The amp I owned just before it is the Little Dot 1+ it is super cheap, well made, very easy to roll tubes and the opamp. Most importantly it sounds awesome. I was originally planning to sell it when the MAD showed up but just can't part with it so it now sits at my bedside powering a pair of HD 25-1 II. 

David is great to deal with and it's a great entry to tubes and has excellent synergy with grados or any low impedance headphones.

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the thoughts; I've been going through the LD thread and the tube rolling thread it looks really promising. How similar is the sound to the Ear+? It's kind of hard to describe but that sound that the EAR + grado seems to generate I'm looking for a little taste of that. Does the little-dot have any of that?

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Millet Minimax is a great option. Very nice synergy with Grados

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 13
Bottlehead Crack. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 13
The Bottlehead Crack is a great affordable kit but is OTL which is not particularly suited to low impedance headphones such as Grados.

Quote:
Bottlehead Crack. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 13
The sound from the MAD is pretty hard to beat for sure but with the right tubes and opamps you can definitely tweak the LD 1+ to may Grados sing. The hybrid design is perfect for low impedance headphones such as the Grado line and it's value for money ratio can't be beat.

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts; I've been going through the LD thread and the tube rolling thread it looks really promising. How similar is the sound to the Ear+? It's kind of hard to describe but that sound that the EAR + grado seems to generate I'm looking for a little taste of that. Does the little-dot have any of that?

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 13
I'm using the Little dot I+ as well and just love what it can do.. But Im itching for an upgrade and everyone around here tends to favour the MAD HD as the best amp you can get for grados. Wondering the increase in sound quality difference in MAD compared to little dot. Want to make sure if its a night and day difference, if not then i cant justify letting go the little dots 

Quote:
The sound from the MAD is pretty hard to beat for sure but with the right tubes and opamps you can definitely tweak the LD 1+ to may Grados sing. The hybrid design is perfect for low impedance headphones such as the Grado line and it's value for money ratio can't be beat.

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 13
I used to own the Little dot ++ a long while back and imo the MapleTree Ear+ is the better amp of the two.  I have one for sale in case anyone is interested. 
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 13
There was never any debate that the MAD is superior. A used MAD would be a great option. 

Quote:
I used to own the Little dot ++ a long while back and imo the MapleTree Ear+ is the better amp of the two.  I have one for sale in case anyone is interested. 
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 13
With the right tubes the MAD Ear+ HD is definitely night and day compared to the LD1+ . Bearing in mind that night and day is being used in the audiophile sense. I haven't heard a ton of amps and don't want to spout gibberish in an attempt to describe sound which is subjective at best. What I do know is that the MAD is a hand made, point to point, dead quiet amp that makes me more excited to listen to music with. 

I love the Grado sound signature and feel that the MAD is the perfect amp to bring out the best in them

Quote:
I'm using the Little dot I+ as well and just love what it can do.. But Im itching for an upgrade and everyone around here tends to favour the MAD HD as the best amp you can get for grados. Wondering the increase in sound quality difference in MAD compared to little dot. Want to make sure if its a night and day difference, if not then i cant justify letting go the little dots 

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 13
Figures I miss the one for sale.  But I really appreciate the discussion. I too really love the Grado sound; I'm not sure why exactly but it just appeals to me over anything else. The little dot seems like a good option but the more I read the more I feel like I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good second had ear+ or maybe just wait until I've saved enough for a new kit.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
The Bottlehead Crack is a great affordable kit but is OTL which is not particularly suited to low impedance headphones such as Grados.

I've not really had any problems with OTL amps and my 225i's. Maybe a bit more gain than I'd like in general - but the sound is glorious. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back