Is there a "hi-fi" mp3 download store?
Jan 20, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 40
It should be clear that allofmp3 is ilegal. But then again, so is charging 1$ for a 128kbps song
mad.gif
mad.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 40
MusicMatch offers WMA tracks at 160bps. While that may not qualify as a 'hi-fi' MP3 to some, it is way better than 128bits. I rip all my own stuff using LAME at 192 bits - which seems like a good balance between sound quality and file size. Personally, I can't stand to listen to anything ripped at 128. But that's just me.

Actually, I'm so annoyed by all the DRM restrictions that I've gone back to buying CDs. The major, big-box stores are so competitive with online stores nowdays that it makes no sense to buy online unless it's an album(or track) that you cannot find in the stores - or if just want to purchase a single track. Maybe the record execs are finally learning... At MusicMatch, most albums are $10. You can generally get CDs at BestBuy for around $12-13. Of course we all know the benefits have having the original CD.
smily_headphones1.gif

redjr...

Jan 20, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1980
It should be clear that allofmp3 is ilegal. But then again, so is charging 1$ for a 128kbps song
mad.gif
mad.gif

Has anyone been prosecuted for using allofmp3? Because at 2 cents a MB, that is clearly one heck of a deal!

Jan 20, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by redjr
Actually, I'm so annoyed by all the DRM restrictions that I've gone back to buying CDs. The major, big-box stores are so competitive with online stores nowdays that it makes no sense to buy online unless it's an album(or track) that you cannot find in the stores - or if just want to purchase a single track. Maybe the record execs are finally learning... At MusicMatch, most albums are $10. You can generally get CDs at BestBuy for around $12-13. Of course we all know the benefits have having the original CD.
smily_headphones1.gif

redjr...

I agree, I would only use a online music store for a single song. Personally, I like having the original casing and everything. And most of the time, you can get a new CD for $9.99 at Target when they first come out, thats where I get mine. So heck, why buy an album online?

Jan 20, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 40
Is allofmp3 correctly labeled as "illegal" or since it is located in a foreign country, is it simply subject to different (regional) legal standards than the major media companies would like to see in effect.

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd
I have never heard of it being illegal here in the US

here is some info about it,http://www.museekster.com/allofmp3faq.htm

I use the site sometimes and the quality of the files seem pretty good

The relavent info from the site:
Quote:

Subsection (a) tells us:

“Importation into the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title, of copies or phonorecords of a work that have been acquired outside the United States is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies or phonorecords under section 106, actionable under section 501.”

So it's illegal you may think. But take a close look at sub (a)(2):

“This subsection does not apply to importation, for the private use of the importer and not for distribution, by any person with respect to no more than one copy or phonorecord of any one work at any one time, or by any person arriving from outside the United States with respect to copies or phonorecords forming part of such person's personal baggage;”

If MP3’s, OGG’s etc are in fact considered phonorecords, U.S. citizens can legally buy these as long if they are for private use and not for distribution. If MP3s, OGG’s etc. are not considered phonorecords, no import laws apply. The sections of digital audio recording and sound recording have no mention of importation. "

So it's legal, most likely. Additionally, if it was illegal, then the music industry would have taken action against them, but they have not, affirming that it is, more than likely, legal, and they definately can't do anything about it. The Russian head of their RIAA equivalent has said legal action would fail, and he has a vested interest in taking this company, and similar ones, out of business.

Oh, and the songwriters do supposedly get paid, just nobody else.

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #23 of 40
http://ubernet.org/

Realize, of course, that downloading copyrighted materials from here is illegal, but all MP3s are encoded with LAME, and FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files are also available. It's not a store though, just a hi-fi P2P service.

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #24 of 40
Well, I think that it's pretty ridiculous to feel that it is OK to download from allofmp3 when you know that the performers, writers, etc aren't getting squat from them. Just because Russia doesn't give a damn about copyrights doesn't mean that what they're doing is RIGHT. You can go to China and get all sorts of pirated movies, software, anything. Nobody will be arrested, but of course it's not right.

For legal downloads, I really like emusic.com. They charge a cheap monthly fee ($10 for 40 downloads, $15 for 65, I believe). Downloads are LAME alt preset standard (VBR 192), so they're very good quality. Ordinarily, I would agree that I don't like buying anything but uncompressed, but for only 25 cents a song and good quality, it is a compromise I can accept. I can hardly tell the difference b/w VBR192 and WAV anyway. Furthermore, they have NO rights managment, so you can play your MP3 anywhere.

The only drawback is the selection. You won't find Britney Spears latest, but they have loads of independent labels, alternative/punk, old blues and jazz. They have loads of Frank Zappa, for example. Check it out!

Overall, the great majority of my MP3s come from my own CDs that I rip (LAME aps). I rarely buy a song or two on iTunes if I don't want to buy the whole CD. AAC128 is at least listenable; I can't stand CBR MP3 at 128 on anything but my mediocre computer speakers.

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
How do you guys know what you are buying ? the site is in Russian !!!!!!!!!!

But if the site is legal in Russia, it'll still make it legal, since Russia is not under US legislative rule.

They have an English version of the site too. You just have to click a little thingy.

Oh, and even if in Russia it is legal, it still may not be legal for those in other countries to download from them, because you're technically importing, and are subject to the appropriate importation laws. In this case it seems legal, however.

Quote:

Just because Russia doesn't give a damn about copyrights doesn't mean that what they're doing is RIGHT.

This is well said, and you're very much right. I haven't used the service myself, and this is one of the reasons.

However, many people aren't going to buy CDs, and aren't going to pay $1 a song for crappy quality versions, and for them it's either P2P or this. Maybe they're too poor, maybe they just want to experiment to see what they like, or maybe they're just cheap bastards. Whatever the case, the fact that this service is legal should not be kept hidden just because it is immoral. At least it's good quality, cheap, and the songwriters get paid, which is certainly better than P2P.

Oh, and they offer some stuff that you can't really get in the US, and if you can it costs huge sums of money. That is another reason why this is so attractive.

Jan 20, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
Has anyone been prosecuted for using allofmp3? Because at 2 cents a MB, that is clearly one heck of a deal!

Yeah it is. But I'll bet there's a lot of people who'd be happy to start a business selling tracks for 1.5 cents a track. Problem is, the RIAA would have them in the poor house in a month. Unless they're in Russia.

Thing is though, as far as I know, there's no easy way to enforce buyers from the usa from buying from Russian sites. So although buying from Russian sites is not legal, it's not enforceable. It seems the RIAA did a good job at shutting down the USA's use of Kazaa, but now the Kazaa users have moved to other places (other file sharing networks, Russian mp3 sites, cds on eBay buy-and-resell, etc.).

Then there's legit wma's. But I hate wma's, they're too restrictive. I began buying them a year ago, but gave them up. It's a shame because I really wanted to use them. But I can't even tag them! And if I want to access them from a network pc, it won't let me. It's mine, it's my file, I paid good money for it, and I can't even listen to it? What a crock. Thanks, I'll pass.

I haven't bought anything from Russia yet. I've considered it though. I wish I could buy a legit mp3 from somewhere legally. I don't mind paying, but I want an mp3 (or better yet, a wav).

My money is right here, waiting to spend. But nobody in the USA is selling what I want.

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #28 of 40
if the other sites charged something resembling cost + resonable profit then they would get more business.

think of all the infrastructure not needed by allofmp3 and all the other online shops.

no cd pressing factory, no case factory, no album sleve factory, no transport from those factories to the factory where they are all put together. no transport and warehouses between that factory and the retail shop, no retail shop or staff.

only a very big shed full of computers with a very fast internet connection and a very big bank account. no advertising necessary as we do it here and every other music site on the internet.

but itunes charge nearly as much for a whole album as you pay in a shop, profit gouging, and i wont contribute until they come up with a resonable business model

4 months with allofmp3, never a bad download, their own software tags all my files as i want them, dumps them into a directory with a file tree exactly as i told it to, which i then just drag and drop on my dap. easier than ripping it myself.

a

Jan 21, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #29 of 40
Well said azesty, I agree wholeheartedly. And I will never feel sorry for millionaires that keep Americans happy, unlike people that keep America going and get paid nothing (in comparison).

Jan 21, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by azesty
itunes charge nearly as much for a whole album as you pay in a shop, profit gouging, and i wont contribute until they come up with a resonable business model

You're not going to buy new hit singles for 99 cents at your local music store and the album prices, at least in the US, seem very fair to me. Occasionally I'll find a better deal on an album at a store, but 8 out of 10 times, the iTunes pricing wins. As for overhead, the materials, manufacturing and distribution can't be more than a buck or two per physical CD, but physical CDs are typically priced more than a few bucks above the standard $9.99 charged by the iTunes Music Store. As the business analysts will tell you, iTMS is not a big profit center for Apple. What it does however is lure people to iPods and keeps them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back