Is there a "hi-fi" mp3 download store?
Jan 20, 2005 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

BowerR64

1000+ Head-Fier
Seems all the MP3 stores you can buy and download MP3s are all 128 bit. What if we wanted better sound quality? There needs to be a hi-fi download store.

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 40
allofmp3.com

any format you like, high bitrates, ridiculously cheap. I love Russian legal loopholes!

Jan 20, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
allofmp3.com

any format you like, high bitrates, ridiculously cheap. I love Russian legal loopholes!

Realize though that what you get in many cases are tracks down-encoded from 320 Kbps MP3s, not CD originals.

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
I agree wholeheartedly.

Ai, me too. If the iTMS sold their stuff in AppleLossless I would be all over the place for the exclusive songs & sampling stuff I don't know.
Problem: Average consumer does not care + bandwith is expensive = no go.

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 40
i just opted up for itunes because paypal has a free 5 song promo. using up the 5 songs now, will dump it after. only DLing my wife's tunes since she doesn't care about 128. Clay Aiken's "Invisible" anyone? No joke, on the P2Ps i can only find crappy versions of this, and NO way was I going to BUY a Clay Aiken album!

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 40
Warp use LAME-APS, but of course only sell stuff from their own label.

http://www.warprecords.com/bleep/

They deserve credit for this statement ...

"Bleep has two distinct advantages over other stores and illegal P2P services.
The tracks are encoded with LAME using the ‘--alt-preset standard’ VBR setting - widely acknowledged to currently give the best trade-off between transparency and file size, but with the emphasis more on sound quality than file size. Bleep MP3s have an average bit rate of around 205kbps VBR, while the majority of MP3s found on the internet are 128kbps.

Secondly, Bleep music has no DRM or copy protection built in. We believe that most people like to be treated as customers and not potential criminals - DRM is easily circumvented and just puts obstacles in the way of enjoying music. Apple has even privately stated that they decided to use a weak form of DRM solely to get major labels onboard. "

However I still refuse to buy lossy of any description.

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 40
Either I am totally misunderstanding the website but is it saying that for every 1mb its $0.02? Or does it translate to $0.20? Because if its 2 cents then that sound to good to be true. 20 cents seems right. Any clarification for me?

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 40
Somehow I very much doubt the artists get paid when buying from allofmp3.

Russia is famous for its CD-copies. I even doubt that the site has access to (all?) the original CDs, who knows where the downloaded files originates from & what format they originally are. I'd never buy anything from there. It somehow appears a little shady. Just my 2...

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
Either I am totally misunderstanding the website but is it saying that for every 1mb its $0.02? Or does it translate to $0.20? Because if its 2 cents then that sound to good to be true. 20 cents seems right. Any clarification for me?

It is 2 cents/megabyte, you read it correctly.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back