is there a format like flac that takes up less space?
Dec 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 11
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison#Comparison_Table
http://z-issue.com/wp/flac-compression-level-comparison

As you can see, compressed lossless files don't vary much in the level of compression.

Some programs (such as dBpoweramp) let you select the level of FLAC compression you want, but again, it doesn't vary much.

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 11
I dont know any players that read this fairly new format,nor have I come across any music in this format yet...but....

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mqa-meridian-s-digital-audio-format-explained

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 11
  I dont know any players that read this fairly new format,nor have I come across any music in this format yet...but....

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mqa-meridian-s-digital-audio-format-explained

It's not lossless though. Very clever, but it only works with a very limited amount of equipment and will only be interesting if one of the major labels actually re-encodes all their music to the format.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 11

It's not lossless though. Very clever, but it only works with a very limited amount of equipment and will only be interesting if one of the major labels actually re-encodes all their music to the format.

Im going to submit to your knowledge in this topic,but I clearly missed the part where its "not lossless".

Not arguing,rather trying to understand it myself,since Ive been under the impression for over a year now that it was indeed lossless,and wondering why the heck I never see the format available

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 11

Im going to submit to your knowledge in this topic,but I clearly missed the part where its "not lossless".

Not arguing,rather trying to understand it myself,since Ive been under the impression for over a year now that it was indeed lossless,and wondering why the heck I never see the format available

There's a huge Q&A thread on Computer Audiophile about it, which goes into laborious detail. What it boils down to is that at least 3 bits of digital data are not lossless. Irrespective of that, right now you need a device that decodes MQA to derive any benefit. If you don't, you're just getting a CD quality file which has what amounts to added high-frequency noise.

For me, I see it as something for the hi-fi press to get all excited over, but something that history says will go nowhere.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 11

There's a huge Q&A thread on Computer Audiophile about it, which goes into laborious detail.

Man,you werent kidding!When an article starts referencing Cambridge doctorate papers to explain music,thats my que to tap out.

From the original post by Chris"His first 24 hours with MQA" he did report subtle sonic improvements in addition to smaller file sizes.
However some members read between the lines and saw it as an attempt to have proprietary control over music.....anytime I hear "proprietary" I gag.

I guess time will tell.

Thanks for guiding me to that site.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 11

There's a huge Q&A thread on Computer Audiophile about it, which goes into laborious detail.

Man,you werent kidding!When an article starts referencing Cambridge doctorate papers to explain music,thats my que to tap out.

From the original post by Chris"His first 24 hours with MQA" he did report subtle sonic improvements in addition to smaller file sizes.
However some members read between the lines and saw it as an attempt to have proprietary control over music.....anytime I hear "proprietary" I gag.

I guess time will tell.

Thanks for guiding me to that site.

The improvements were the result of digitally altering the music. Part of the deal about MQA is that they have the ability to adjust for the ADC used when recording or mastering. What wasn't made clear at the beginning when MQA was announced was that this adjustment has little specifically to do with the encoding format. You could as easily separate both. Indeed, they want to licence the whole package and make money from it, not that there is anything wrong with that, other than, indeed, the lock-in.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 11
The conversation about MQA reminds me about how when I wanted to start my own digital music store (I still do, but probably not for a long time, since it would be such a complex and likely expensive project), I wanted to look into ways of protecting against piracy. There aren't many safeguards against it, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back