is there a different between optical or USB?
Nov 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

expxe

100+ Head-Fier
to output the audio to the external DAC, both are the same right? but if i go with usb, i wouldn't need a sound card with optical out right?

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 10
Right you are indeed.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 10
if it was so simple then why do other forms of music input like optical exist? every computer has usb ports but not all computers have a optical out, why not just use usb for all external soundcard dacs?

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Some people use DACs to connect to audio devices that are not computers. Having multiple inputs on a DAC gives some versatility.

Have you tried googling: spdif vs usb ?

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 10
expxe, there are about a thousand posts on this on Head-Fi alone, and another 5 million on Google. Simple answer, for those of us who have gone to the expense of buying a DAC that will take optical input, is that optical doesnt have to compete with other devices in your computer and, many contend, is inherently less prone to high jitter levels. Its a sore point here, but there is a reason why devices that accept Toslink/coax optical cost more than those which do not, and I'll gladly pay that price.

If you are going to use USB -

1. Unplugged laptop is less noisy than one connected to mains.
2. Unplug every thing else - external keyboard, mouse, whatever - to give the USB port that is serving your music the best possible start
3. If possible, ensure that your player is the only foreground application running.

Sure, plenty use their computer while listening to music, but these are my tips if you genuinely want the best results.

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by expxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if it was so simple then why do other forms of music input like optical exist? every computer has usb ports but not all computers have a optical out, why not just use usb for all external soundcard dacs?

Because USB is a connection standard that requires an active processor to manage the throughput. Most home audio devices don't have such processors. Digital optical and coaxial connections are passive, and therefore don't require any processing power. That's why most home audio equipment use either or both of them, and not USB. I'm in the market for an amp and dac, but specifically want one with not only USB, but also optical and coaxial, because of the reasons I gave above.

My MacBook has optical out, by the way. Most modern computers should have, I think.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 10
I prefer optical because there will be less things to interfere with the audio output. For example: If I connect too many drives to my computer, all of the other USB ports get disconnected. I know this isn't common issue but it just illustrates the fact that things can go wrong with USB, because so many other devices and modules are interacting with that I/O interface.

I have more peace of mind knowing that my audio is being streamed out of a completely independent interface & doesn't require any specific driver support.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 10
I am in this battle right now. To me, on my system spdif always sounds better than optical, hands down. It is hard to get a good a/b of usb vsw optical but from what I have been able to tell, on my system at least, the optical sounds a bit more muddy and less dynamic than usb. I don't know why. My current problem is that the usb input on my dac doesn't do 24bit input, only the optical input will take it. So my best recordings have to go through a lower end delivery process. RIght now I am waiting for a demo to try that converts the usb to spdif, hopefully that will solve my issue here.

So it is a question on your system that you have to a/b and try to hear what sound you like better because you may like one sound better than the other. For me and this system optical seems to have the lowest SQ but it is the easiest, plugs into more sources and overall easier to deal with.

Good luck figuring out yours....fun is all in the process.

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 10
Very interesting post. I have often wondered about optical vs USB. I am currently using external USB sound card that has optical output and I am pleased but always looking for a way to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back