Is there a difference between oval and circle shaped headphones?
Mar 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 21
Soundstage is all an illusion of perception anyway. Who is to say what the accurate rendition of soundstage should be?

Well, for this I say that is somewhat difficult to explain for me xD. What I want to say is some people maybe think "if I have more room in my ears (talking about room in the pads), I have more soundstage", And that is not precisely true.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 21
Soundstage is all an illusion of perception anyway. Who is to say what the accurate rendition of soundstage should be?

Accurate soundstage matters for certain sorts of records. For example, in a piano concerto, it should sound as if the piano is more or less center stage and in front of the orchestra. Otherwise, it's hard to hear the piano over the orchestra. That's why I'm impressed when a model performs well in this regard, such as SRH840. 

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #19 of 21
Well, for this I say that is somewhat difficult to explain for me xD. What I want to say is some people maybe think "if I have more room in my ears (talking about room in the pads), I have more soundstage", And that is not precisely true.

Sure. I agree with that. Although I would imagine that there are probably some acoustical advantages that can be taken advantage of with a wider cup area. Pads, of course, can change the soundstage dramatically.

Accurate soundstage matters for certain sorts of records. For example, in a piano concerto, it should sound as if the piano is more or less center stage and in front of the orchestra. Otherwise, it's hard to hear the piano over the orchestra. That's why I'm impressed when a model performs well in this regard, such as SRH840. 

I think what you are describing is the "desirable" soundstage presentation. Who is to say that the presentation of AKG Q701s is more accurate of what was mixed and recorded than say the SR225i, when a good guess is that the Q701s will often create a bigger soundstage affect.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #20 of 21
I think what you are describing is the "desirable" soundstage presentation. Who is to say that the presentation of AKG Q701s is more accurate of what was mixed and recorded than say the SR225i, when a good guess is that the Q701s will often create a bigger soundstage affect.

I think it would depend on the size of the ensemble. Grados would probably be more accurate for smaller groups such as rock / metal bands and chamber music; AKGs would be much better for a full orchestra. Soundstage isn't so important to me except for the larger groups.

Otherwise, it's a lower sonic priority than having an organic and enjoyable soundworld, even one that ends up being somewhat colored as Grados are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back