Is there a better opamp than the OPA627 ?
Oct 29, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 30
I have a Leckerton portable amp and just got a pair of AD8620s which are installed today but there is no sound. What did I do wrong? Help please. Thanks.
What were the stock opamps (Leckerton what model?). You didn't try to replace a single opamp with a dual (ala AD8620) did you? That could be one big reason it doesn't work...
Also, this isn't the appropriate thread for your post anyway... what does this have to do with a 14 year old thread about OP627s?

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #19 of 30
What sounds good is such a subjective thing. One of my favorite and most used op amps is the jrc4558 in the to-5 metal package. Something about this chip just hits all the right spots.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #21 of 30
Sorry that I got into an 14 years old thread :slight_frown:
I actually tried to look for a comparison between the opamp AD8620 and 627/637 for the Leckerton UHA-6S Mk2. :smile:
I guess that is reasonable for a necro-thread.
You did use the dual to single adapter for the AD8620 didn't you? It is a dual opamp and the amp appears to be setup for a single? Dual and single don't have the same pinout.

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #22 of 30
I guess that is reasonable for a necro-thread.
You did use the dual to single adapter for the AD8620 didn't you? It is a dual opamp and the amp appears to be setup for a single? Dual and single don't have the same pinout.

You are absolutely right. I did notice the existing opamps are ADA4627-1 each channel (I guess) but the AD8620 has no number after that that might be meant dual amp. Thanks for clarification.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 30
Hey there,

I just wanted to find out about the general sentiments about purchasing opamp off Aliexpress. My old opamp broke and I wanted to purchase several new opamps off several retailers on Aliexpress. However, these opamps doesn't seem like it's manufactured by Texas Instruments, it looks like generic versions of what TI are producing. Should I be concerned? Are there any audible differences or is the difference just like branded and generic medicine - the same?

Thanks for looking!

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #27 of 30
Hey there,

I just wanted to find out about the general sentiments about purchasing opamp off Aliexpress. My old opamp broke and I wanted to purchase several new opamps off several retailers on Aliexpress. However, these opamps doesn't seem like it's manufactured by Texas Instruments, it looks like generic versions of what TI are producing. Should I be concerned? Are there any audible differences or is the difference just like branded and generic medicine - the same?

Thanks for looking!
Yes, I would be concerned with anything semiconductor-related on Aliexpress being genuine...

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #28 of 30
If you are located in USA Mouser Electronics have them originally from TI.
Yes, I would be concerned with anything semiconductor-related on Aliexpress being genuine...

Thank you guys. Unfortunately I'm not located in the US, I'm located in Singapore. However, I don't mind purchasing them off Mouser Electronics as I have a pretty cheap parcel forwarder located in US. My concern is that my search results (e.g. AD825, OPA637) yielded opamps that aren't in the DIP8 adapter format. I don't have any soldering knowledge, my CMOY knowledge stops at just changing the opamps out - very little. Am I looking the wrong way, are there any particular keywords that I should key to yield results showing opamps in the DIP8 format?

Thanks once again.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #29 of 30
What exactly are you working on? Opamps normally don't just fail or break in my experience.
Regarding the last portion of your original post, most opamps are single-sourced; i.e., and AD825 is made by Analog Devices and only Analog Devices. The AD825 is only available in surface mount packaging (SOIC-8 or SOIC-16), so you would need an adapter such as those by BrownDog. There are a number of these pre-mounted on an SOIC to DIP-8 adapter on ebay. Guaranteed genuine? Probably not. However I don't think the AD825 is a particularly sought out opamp, so counterfeiting these would not have as much upside (to the counterfeiter) as something like an OPA627 or 637, which generally sells for much more.

Some older opamps such as the NE5532 or NE5534 have been licensed to other manufacturers. I don't even remember who the original manufacturer was on these. Signetics? Philips? On Mouser I show TI and ON Semi.

As for search keywords, through-hole or DIP will be about it for something in that form factor, though I should note that the OPA627 and 637 are available in a round metal can (TO99) which though being through-hole, would not easily work for your application, so a DIP-8 (PDIP-8) will be what you are looking for.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #30 of 30
What exactly are you working on? Opamps normally don't just fail or break in my experience.
Regarding the last portion of your original post, most opamps are single-sourced; i.e., and AD825 is made by Analog Devices and only Analog Devices. The AD825 is only available in surface mount packaging (SOIC-8 or SOIC-16), so you would need an adapter such as those by BrownDog. There are a number of these pre-mounted on an SOIC to DIP-8 adapter on ebay. Guaranteed genuine? Probably not. However I don't think the AD825 is a particularly sought out opamp, so counterfeiting these would not have as much upside (to the counterfeiter) as something like an OPA627 or 637, which generally sells for much more.

Some older opamps such as the NE5532 or NE5534 have been licensed to other manufacturers. I don't even remember who the original manufacturer was on these. Signetics? Philips? On Mouser I show TI and ON Semi.

As for search keywords, through-hole or DIP will be about it for something in that form factor, though I should note that the OPA627 and 637 are available in a round metal can (TO99) which though being through-hole, would not easily work for your application, so a DIP-8 (PDIP-8) will be what you are looking for.

Hi Pars,

Oh I'm not really working on anything. My CMOYBB was pre-assembled and it's just that one of the opamp's legs broke when I was trying to change it, so I'm just trying to look for a replacement right now.

Thank you for your tip, I will give it a try incorporating those keywords into my search. If all else fails, I guess I could go back to ordering another opamp from JDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back