Is there a better "memory foam" mattress than Tempur-Pedic?
Jun 24, 2007 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Saw that in the "bose of other things" thread. Is Tempur Pedic the Bose of matress'? I want one, but never really researched much since I saw it was developed and used by NASA, etc. Yeah, that woulda been the 1st thing I never bothered to research before buying...but after seeing that, makes me wonder.

Are those $300 Memory foam matresses in Wal-Mart or Target just as good? What is? Anything BETTER? My GF has a memory foam topper on her bed, and I can fall asleep like nothing...so I'm contemplating an entire memory foam bed on a platform frame...

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 59
What were you doing in your girlfriend's bed?
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the toppers my uncle has and I can attest that my Tempur-Pedic beats the daylights out of it hands down.

yeah, i slept in a Tempur-Pedic one time.

best.sleep.ever.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 59
My parents had a local store brand of memory foam mattress. It ended up have permanent impressions of their bodies after only a couple months. They got their money back!

I think it has something to do with the density.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 59
Yep, the memory foam you want is the "4inch 4lb density" type. Delivered from overstock @ 179.00

No affiliation, just a restful sleeper...

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 59
I use one of those Sleep number beds with a foam topper. It is great. I can make it soft or firm as I need it. You can fine the best prices for these on QVC. That is www.qvc.com The company is Select Comfort. The individual sides are independent of each other so my wife and I don't bother each other when we move. She has her side very soft while I have mine much firmer.

Note there is no substitute for Tempur-Pedic foam if foam is what you want. All others are fake in comparison.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 59
Consumer Reports reviews and compares memory foam mattresses every so often. You might want to try to find one of their back issues. From what I can remember, Tempur-Pedic is one of the better brands, but there are some other brands that offer identical performance for much less. However, there are also other cheaper brands that aren't as good.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 59
How durable are they? I got a sample from Tempur Pedic and those things tear easily!

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 59
I've tried a number of different foam products, and Tempur-Pedic really is the best, IMO. I slept on one for a number of months and loved it.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 59
Been using a Tempurpedic pillow for 13 years now and haven't gotten a neck spasm since
Bought a Tempurpedic mattress (full deal w/Boxspring) and got a "pay it off in 24 months", which finished November, and couldn't be happier.

Never had another brand, so I can't compare.

I have used other "as seen on tv" pillows that mimic the real deal and I was eating foam after 6 months.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

so I'm contemplating an entire memory foam bed on a platform frame...

IIRC ( it's been a few years since I looked at them ) even the Tempurpedic mattress isn't made of solid "space age" memory foam , but is constructed of several layers of a more regular foam in the middle, sandwiched between memory foam on the outside....so you're effectively getting a quality regular foam mattress sandwiched between memory foam toppers .... good quality/denisty memory foam toppers, mind you. I've been using a fairly high density no-name foam topper on a firm spring mattress for a couple of years, and it's defintely better than just the spring mattress on it's own.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 59
Dang...so it seems there's no way around it? Thought it might been like the Bose Wave Stereo.....all this hype, but really there are tons of better options out there....

Couldn't find the Consumer Reports article....but I tend to sometimes find thier articles crap alot of the time anyways...

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #14 of 59
I've had a memory foam bed for 6+ years, and it's not Temper-Pedic. I did a lot of research, and I liked the "technology" of the bed I purchased. It's called a Supple-Pedic, and it's made by Strobel Technologies. I purchased it from them direct.

What I liked about the bed was it wasn't just two pieces of foam (memory foam & regular foam) like most memory foam beds. There is a 3rd layer - it's a mini-spring system which Strobel calls a lever support system. All I know is after 6 years, my wife and I both call the bed our "butter bed" as we melt into it each night. As far as I'm concerned - best bed ever, and better than Temper-Pedic.

Here's their website if you're interested:
http://www.strobel.com/

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #15 of 59
I love tempur pedic. I too have a pillow and it rules. My only issue is :/ I miss the hardness/density it had in the early stages
frown.gif
Now its all soft and it isn't how I lovee it. Ohwell ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back