Is there a 5.1 to stereo decoder to take digital TV/DVD into my 2 channel DAC->Headphone amp?
Mar 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jdmoorman

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a way to take the digital audio out from my TV or DTV or DVD/Bluray and route it through my DAC - headphone system.
The problem is that most of the TV/DTV/DVD/Bluray content is coded 5.1/surround/dolby digital and not 2 channel stereo, so either nothing or garbage comes through my DAC.
So is there an option other than a home theater receiver just to decode the multichannel down to stereo?
Also, I don't think home theater receivers output digital stereo, just analogue. 
Does such an animal exist?

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I use my ps3 as my blu ray player and I can have it output whatever audio I wish depending if I want to use my cans or not.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 4
A Turtle Beach DSS2 or an Astro Mix-Amp would convert a 5.1 digital signal to a 2 channel analog for the headphones.
You would not need to use your DAC.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Your blu ray player will decode it into two channel, which you can then run the RCA outs into your headphone amp. Also, if you feed your tv a digital audio signal, it will also decode it to two channel. If your tv had RCA outs, hook those up to you headphone amp.

Otherwise, there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2-AA-GefenTV-Digital-Decoder/dp/B0021QBIBQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332205005&sr=8-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back