Is the zune any good
May 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #16 of 30
I have a zune and i think it has great SQ i think it beats my GF's ipod for sure. It has a pretty strong headphone out and powers all my headphones pretty well given that they arent the hardest to drive lol.

I like the zune software but all the wireless and social features are handy but not that useful to me as almost no one has a zune and i dont have the zune membership so accessing the marketplace on the go is pretty pointless.

May 26, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better, cleaner / punchier... that is - unless you've been able to work out a killer set up with jet effects and so forth with the D2, then I'm not so sure (I cannot personally get the D2 to sound good - no matter what settings I use, but - YMMV obviously, as this is one of the most regarded players on the forums)

thanks for that duncan. i find the cowon d2+ excellent for sound quality it did take me a while to find a sound i liked.. don't know why i stuck with my ipod classic for so long..

May 26, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #18 of 30
My D2+ (D2 mod) beats out my Zune 30, but just barely. I've had a 4G and 5G iPod, and the Zune easily beats them in SQ.

The only negative I have with the Zune is the software requirement (similar to how iTunes works - no UMS and requires the vendor software to sync).

May 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the zune software but all the wireless and social features are handy but not that useful to me as almost no one has a zune and i dont have the zune membership so accessing the marketplace on the go is pretty pointless.

This is probably the only negative thing I have to say about the Zune. I don't ever touch the social features.

That being said, I've got a Zune 16GB, and I love it. Great sound quality through my unamped RE2s, smooth interface. The software has minor flaws, but I like it a lot more than iTunes and only use it for syncing anyway.

May 27, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 30
I loved my Zune 30...

...up until it randomly died on me several months ago.

I personally think the interface was cleaner and much easier to navigate than an iPod Classic, and the sound, like many have mentioned, was absolutely top-notch.

If the Zune SW supported Last.FM, it would have been absolutely perfect.

May 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #23 of 30
I like my Zune 30 a lot, just wish I'd waited for the thinner models. Sound quality is excellent, really.

Also, it's frustrating that it doesn't work with a Mac. If I want to sync it (since I don't want to install windows/pay for windows), I have to do so at work.

May 27, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtype2011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Zune SW supported Last.FM, it would have been absolutely perfect.

You're in luck that there is something out there supporting last.fm. It takes a little effort but will scrobble both playing from the software and what you've played on your Zune.

Zenses - Scrobbles your player. Click here for a screenshot tutorial and a link to the last.fm group where you can download.

Zuse - Scrobbles plays on the Zune software Home | ZuseFM

May 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you guys really like the Zune's sound quality, it would be well worth it to give the Sony A-series mp3 players a try

Already own the A818, and the Zune sounds just as good to me, if not better. Sure, the Sony offers a great EQ, but with no EQ (head to head), I prefer the Zune SQ.

May 28, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #28 of 30
Only the Zune 30 has EQ... boozcool, what EQ do you use on the Sony? I might do a quick a/b at the weekend of EQ'd A818 vs EQ'd Zune 30 if you think it would help?

May 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #29 of 30
I use the "Custom" setting with the same settings as "Unique", except I put the bass to 3. I also use the "Studio" setting on the "VPT(Surround)"
I tend to prefer more bass in my music, so a lower bass setting might be more preferable if the bass seems too much
beerchug.gif

May 28, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, with the EQ, would you say the Zune is still better than the Sony?

If you are asking is the Sony A818 SQ preferable over the Zune if I use the EQ of the former, I can say yes, but only with certain phones, specifically the W3s. I just like having the EQ option for certain phones. But if the Sony is on "normal," and I am using any phones other than the Westones, then I prefer the Zune hands down. Explanation: I use the modded tri-flanges with the W3s, and they definitely mute the highs (but otherwise wound great). So I tweak the highs via EQ with the A818, the Clip and the Touch 2G, but only when using the W3s. Otherwise, I leave the EQ off on the Sony for the other phones I own. Again, I just wish I had the option with the Zune, but MS did it right in terms of the SQ without an EQ in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back