Is the zune any good
May 23, 2009 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

goody

Headphoneus Supremus
hi,
i live in london and we don't have any Microsoft zunes being sold here, can anyone tell me how the sound quality is .
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 30
Hi Goody...

The Zune SQ is very good in my opinion - definitely a cut above the very generic iPod sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Which Zune are you looking at getting? (I have the original Zune 30) - It might be worth noting that 'apparently' Microsoft are planning to release the next Zune (the HD) into the European market with full warranty / support / access to Zune.net... That is probably going to be around September time...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 30
FWIR Zune players have great sound quality. I haven't listened to them myself, but I'm curious.

May 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 30
I've had a Zune 80 for some time and the SQ is excellent. I use it with Super.fi 5 Pros, Grado SR60, Denon D1000 and Yuin PK3s. All sound great.

May 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 30
SQ is very good, but I don't know if all hard-drive base MP3 player do this, but you can hear the hard-drive spin in your headphones. That and the seeking is not as good as flash player. If you can live with this and the Zune software, it's a really good mp3 player !

May 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 30
hey thanks for your reply's i was thinking of getting a zune 30, want to see if i can pick one up secondhand or maybe i should wait for the zune hd since support will be available if launched in uk

May 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 30
I own a Zune 30 that I bought refurb from Woot! a long time ago. I'm pretty happy with it. The SQ on it sounds pretty good. I usually use my DT 770 Pro on my PC's Realtek HD Audio while using my PC. Once in a while I plug them into the Zune and the music coming out from the Zune sound much better than on my PC. I find the wireless on the Zune isn't really anything special. Since most no one has a Zune to begin with. So you can't really use the Social network to see what others near you are listening to and download their songs from their Zune to yours. You can also set the Zune to access into the Zune Marketplace wireless as well as sync with your PC wireless. Comes at the price of draining your battery faster though.

I love the Zune software, its very simple and smooth to use. To me iTunes was a little sluggish when I first set it up for my brother's iPod Video. If your into buying musics, Zune has a membership for $15 a month to download an unlimited amount of songs.

You should be able to get a second hand Zune for $80 or less. You will probably get a lot of strange looks, because not many even know what a Zune is. But yea, I would wait to see what this new device coming out is a new Zune or a new Phone with Zune software.

May 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 30
I own a zune 120 and also have the original 30. Both sound good but i prefer the 120, even without the EQ.

May 24, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 30
just bought a 4gb zune from ebay,should be an interesting listen.. decided to sell my amb mini 3 amp that i bought from hohoidiy, cant sell on here because i am still new. its going on ebay now hopefully will find a buyer only 2 months old..
atsmile.gif

May 24, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I found the Zune to have very good sound quality, which was second only to the Sony NWZ-A829
beerchug.gif

thats good to hear looking forward to listening to it.. i have got an ipod classic and a cowon d2+ .how does a zune compare to these soundwise
L3000.gif

May 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by goody /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats good to hear looking forward to listening to it.. i have got an ipod classic and a cowon d2+ .how does a zune compare to these soundwise
L3000.gif

Better, cleaner / punchier... that is - unless you've been able to work out a killer set up with jet effects and so forth with the D2, then I'm not so sure (I cannot personally get the D2 to sound good - no matter what settings I use, but - YMMV obviously, as this is one of the most regarded players on the forums)

May 25, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 30
The Zune definitely has far superior sound quality to an iPod. Until about 2 years ago, I really could not figure out why iPods were so popular, the sound was so flat, thin, and boring. I assume it was because the majority of iPod users have never had the chance to do a comparison with a rival mp3 player
IMO, I found the iPod's sound quality to be one of the worst compared to all the major mp3 players. Even though my first mp3 player about 5-6 years ago was an iPod, I refuse to by an iPod based on sound quality alone
The Creative line of mp3 players MIGHT be on par with the Zune, but it would be best for you to listen and see for yourself. If there is a Best Buy or other electronics store nearby (R.I.P. Circuit City), you could usually either listen to them in the store, or buy them and return them (make sure there is no "restocking" fee though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back