Is the WooAudio 3+ with HD650 too laid-back for rock/electronic?
Nov 28, 2008 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JohnnyLightOn

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering buying the Woo 3+ and HD650's for use in a nightstand system. The music I like varies, but there's a lot of progressive rock (ex: Pink Floyd) and electronic/variants (ex: Shpongle, Portishead, Air).

I've heard about the great symmetry between the 3+ and the 650's, but also it seems from comments here that this combo might be a bit laid back for my favorite music. Keeping in mind that I can tube roll, what do people think of this combo for rock and electronic?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 12
I've owned or auditioned all three top-of-the-line Senn models (580/600/650), and to my ears they all sound far more alike than they do different, and to my ears they all roll off the highs. I owned a Woo 3+, which IMO is a fabulous headamp, and when the 3+ is paired with anything but Senns it's all there... dynamics and drive and treble and bass. When paired with Senns the 3+ sounded great for a month or two and in no way lacked bass or dynamics and drive, but because Senns are rolled off in the top end I came to sense that something was missing, and that something was that upper treble air and sparkle.
So I ended up selling my Senns and getting a pair of 701's, which I love, but the 3+ didn't have the power to drive 701's, so I ended selling the 3+.

So like I said the Senn/3+ combination has plenty of bass and dynamics and drive, but to my ears it lacks that upper treble air and sparkle.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks very much for the replies!

glitch, I'd like to stick with a tube amp if I can make it work for these genres because I know I'll love lying in bed late at night with the lights off listening to tubes. But I don't want to choose an amp or cans that are overly lush or slow.

Some very moderate rolled-off highs are a good trade for me if it means that the highs are not too bright or sharp or piercing, but if it means a lack of air on top then that would be something that would bother me over time. KZEE, do you think that the newer version of the HD650 might have more high-end, or that an aftermarket cable might open up the highs?

fatcat, thanks for pointing out the Woo 6! I had overlooked it because I thought for some reason that it was bigger than the 3, and I'm already pushing the WAF by putting a tube amp on my nightstand (later to be followed by a Squeezebox Duet and outboard DAC). I'm looking into the 6 right now.

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned or auditioned all three top-of-the-line Senn models (580/600/650), and to my ears they all sound far more alike than they do different, and to my ears they all roll off the highs. I owned a Woo 3+, which IMO is a fabulous headamp, and when the 3+ is paired with anything but Senns it's all there... dynamics and drive and treble and bass. When paired with Senns the 3+ sounded great for a month or two and in no way lacked bass or dynamics and drive, but because Senns are rolled off in the top end I came to sense that something was missing, and that something was that upper treble air and sparkle.
So I ended up selling my Senns and getting a pair of 701's, which I love, but the 3+ didn't have the power to drive 701's, so I ended selling the 3+.

So like I said the Senn/3+ combination has plenty of bass and dynamics and drive, but to my ears it lacks that upper treble air and sparkle.

Does this assessment include tube rolling?

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLightOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some very moderate rolled-off highs are a good trade for me if it means that the highs are not too bright or sharp or piercing, but if it means a lack of air on top then that would be something that would bother me over time. KZEE, do you think that the newer version of the HD650 might have more high-end, or that an aftermarket cable might open up the highs?

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with a newer version of the 650's, but if it's the same basic design as the old model then I wouldn't think that they would sound all that much different.

Although I haven't had the opportunity to hear a pair of recabled 650's, I have spent quit a bit of time with recabled 580's and 600's, and even though recabling helps the sound tremendously, ultimately to my ears the Senns still sound rolled off.
But having said that, the 600 series Senns do a lot of other things really well, so probably the best route for you to go would be to buy some Senn's and try them for yourself to see if they suit your tastes, and if they don't you can always sell them and get something else.
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this assessment include tube rolling?

Yes. I ultimately ended up with 6922 Amperex white label PQ's and a Tung Sol 5998.

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 12
New version 650's + Woo3+ = Heaven. If anything, driving these phones with this amp and using the right tube combo completely lifts the veil myth, and gives the Senns an amazingly airy and sparkling top end. Yes, they retain that signature warmth and midrange lushness, but they do not sound slow or dull, are not nearly as rolled off as you'd think, and absolutely kick ass with rock, electronica, etc. Maybe a SS amp with D2000 would be better (but not by much) at those genres, but the Senns will crush that combo at nearly everything else. You want soundstage, sparkle, and airiness? Roll in some Siemens 6922s with a Tung-Sol 5998...

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New version 650's + Woo3+ = Heaven

Like I said I'm not familiar with the new version 650's, and I couldn't find any information on the web about them... could you give me a link or something so I can check them out? Thanks.

Nov 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 12
For me, it is too laid back for any kind of music. I really like the HD650, but long term is doesn't engage me. WIth the Woo it sounds a little lush in a good way.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said I'm not familiar with the new version 650's, and I couldn't find any information on the web about them... could you give me a link or something so I can check them out? Thanks.

Here ya go... just get a pair and "check 'em out." You can always return them if you don't like them... but... you will!

Much better than the "old version" of the HD650s.

You can get them from B&H, or J&R, for around $325, usually. You just have to request their special pricing.

Sennheiser | HD650 - Reference Class Stereo Headphones | HD650

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here ya go... just get a pair and "check 'em out." You can always return them if you don't like them... but... you will!

Much better than the "old version" of the HD650s.

You can get them from B&H, or J&R, for around $325, usually. You just have to request their special pricing.

Sennheiser | HD650 - Reference Class Stereo Headphones | HD650

Great... thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back