Is The Who's New Album Endless Wire a Remake of Gordon Lightfoot?!
Nov 6, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #16 of 27
Dead ringer for Keith Moon.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 27
I bought Endless Wire last night and after two listens, I'm underwhelmed. But then I expected to be. I'm a big fan, and dutifully bought it. There are a few tracks I know I'm going to like, and a few more that might grow on me.

I don't think they have embarrassed themselves. I like it more than their previous album -- 24 years ago. I saw them in 1975 when they had already peaked (got hit by an empty Jack Daniels bottle that, fortunately for me, didn't break ... a wonderful time was had by all).

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 27
LaBreaHead says:
Quote:

I'm underwhelmed.

I believe what they once said of Wagner is true of this album, "The music is better than it sounds".

A find A man in a Purple Dress and in particular, Mike Post Theme (not a very good name), two great songs. The Black Widow's Eye is a good song in need of a drum kit and bass.

Add a little bass to your equalizer and give it another listen. It is better than that!

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 27
It is certainly not a remake of gordon lightfoot's album.

I wonder if the Who parts of the 1976-10-09,10 shows are available.
You know that Billy Graham probably taped the whole thing from the soundboard. . .

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
Billy Graham recordings should be here. All I get is posters (???)

Good Luck

wolfgangsvault.com is correct, but it says they are about to launch the "concert vault" this week in addition to "vault radio." At recent concerts they have been passing out gift cards for music so I assume you can pay to download shows finally.

And dkknightd, I was just kidding.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #22 of 27
Just got back from The Who show. We sat in the center of the floor in the 24th row. For the encore a friend of my buddy who was sitting in the 13th row brought us up there. Amazing stuff. The same Tommy set from Boston up close.

The big thrill after that was backstage passes for the after-show. We got a drink and hung out in a hospitality room hoping to see the old geezers. It paid off eventually. I met, shook hands with and chatted with Roger Daltry, Zach Starky, Simon Townsend, and Pino Paladino or whatever the bass player is called. Amazing. Pete was gone already I guess. I will post a couple backstage pics and the souvenirs i brought home.

So glad I did this, I can't even say...
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #23 of 27
Voltronsays:
Quote:

So glad I did this, I can't even say...

I'm so very happy for you.
biggrin.gif

EDIT:
Did you like the flashing screens in back?

Did you see the side of Roger's face - What's going on?

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Voltronsays:

I'm so very happy for you.
biggrin.gif

EDIT:

Did you see the side of Roger's face - What's going on?

Thanks man. I actually talked to him for a couple minutes just as they were heading out. His face did not seem odd on the left side or at all, really, other than the sort of pocky appearance it has always had. He is short, though. Zach is really short and overall a really small guy.

Nov 9, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #25 of 27
Here's the setlist from thewholive.com and it seems right to me:

San Jose, November 8, 2006:

I Can't Explain
The Seeker, Substitute
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Fragments
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy
Sound Round
Pick Up The Peace
Endless Wire
We Got A Hit
They Made My Dream Come True
Mirror Door
Baba O'Riley
Eminence Front
A Man In A Purple Dress
Black Widow's Eyes
Mike Post Them
You Better You Bet
My Generation
Cry If You Want
Old Red Wine
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Tea And Theatre

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

I totally spaced on your question until later today when I was talking about the show with somebody. I liked the screens at times and at other times they were too much--too bright and distracting, too much ADD-like flashing/changing, etc. The times that the five or six separate panels moved into different configurations was pretty cool. What did you think?

Nov 10, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #27 of 27
Voltron says:
Quote:

The times that the five or six separate panels moved into different configurations was pretty cool. What did you think?

I enjoyed the picture show very much. I would have liked more photos in the rotation. There was one picture of the Ox that took me a second to figure out who it was. God, they were so young!

Quadrophenia is one of my favorite albums of all-time. I enjoyed the Mods and Rockers pictures from Brighton.

I believe I was at the first show (???) after the death of John Entwistle. The merest mention of his death was made (I think it was Townsend). Other than that, the show went on.

During this tour, the mood of Townsend mimicked the photo show. I have never heard him talk about the death of either Entwisle or Moon. Townsend talked about the loss of both Moon and Entwisle and that the albums after Moon were not as well received and Entwisle "died with a smile on his face".

This was their best show since the Quadrophenia Tour with Gary Glitter (???).

EDIT: Whatever happened to Roger I'm glad has passed. Even look at the cover of Wire & Glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back