Is The Who's New Album Endless Wire a Remake of Gordon Lightfoot?!
Nov 1, 2006 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Voltron

HeadFest '07 Lead OrganizerThe DOTU
I have been a Who fan for almost 30 years but I have yet to buy the album -- in part because I am not sure if it is out on vinyl yet (or ever) and in part because it bears the same name as a 1978 Gordon Lightfoot release!

B000IFRQM2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39008330_.jpg

B000002MSQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Setting aside the disturbing question of whether there are any connections other than the name, I have listened all the way through on Rhapsody twice now. The first time I really thought they had crashed and burned but the second time through made me feel a bit better about my once-favorite band (for years I actually drove what was referred to as the Whomobile, my yellow 1971 VW Bug with The Who logo spray-painted on the hood). I haven't given it a close enough listen to really differentiate the short rock opera portion from the rest, but I plan to spend some more time with it to see how it holds up. If the trend continues, maybe I will actually like the record eventually!
rs1smile.gif

The first song really put me off the first time because it starts out with a synth track lead-in that seems to combine Baba O'Reilly, Love Reign O'er Me and Another Tricky Day. Once I noticed the song title is Fragments and listened again, I wondered if it was descriptive/autobiographical/self-referential rather than just unintentional recycling. I quite like Mike Post Theme, God Speaks Of Marty Robbins, Endless Wire, and even the whimsical We Got a Hit.

Roger sounds fine at times but then sounds like his voice is completely lost at other points (especially when he sounds like Tom Waits swallowed Bob Dylan). Some of the power and fury are inevitably and understandably gone, but Pete can still write a few good songs and play his guitars and he sings a few of the songs too. I always like his voice.

All in all, it won't rock my world, but I can listen to this album and enjoy it. Anybody else given The Who's version of Endless Wire a spin?

Nov 2, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 27
O, how the might have fallen!

I post a thread about the first new album by THE WHO in 24 years and there is not a single response?! There's not a shortage of love for the Shepherd's Bush geezers around here, so where is everybody?
blink.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 27
Well, I for one hope it is a good album. Too many of the 60's favourites are coming back to make a record that seems oddly lost in the 80's. A list of fallen kings as I see it:

Kinks
Sabbath
Beach Boys/Brian Wilson (not including Smile)
King Crimson
Page/Plant (not including Jimmy's amazing collaboration with The Black Crowes)
Paul Simon
Rolling Stones

Others I haven't heard, but fear a listen include The Who and Procol Harum. Keep us posted though - I do hope it turns out to be a good effort for them.

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 27
Sorry, just have a hard time thinking of them as "The Who" without the Ox, much less Moony.

Haven't heard it, probably won't buy it.

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Sorry, just have a hard time thinking of them as "The Who" without the Ox, much less Moony.

This is a totally valid point of view, but for me the fact of the matter is that this is the only Who we have left. And, like GlendaleViper, I am hopeful of something worthy from The Who That We Have. I like a fair amount of the songs on the album after two listens, and I will keep listening unless it is a total turn-off.

Granted, I probably won't go see them live because they are a bit old and tired and I really don't want to watch them play without Entwistle. I have many live concert memories--unfortunately none with Moon--and I will keep those the way they are now.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Granted, I probably won't go see them live because they are a bit old and tired and I really don't want to watch them play without Entwistle.

I know what you mean, but it is what it is. I'm going to see them in Ft. Lauderdale on November 20th, and will report back. Haven't heard the albulm yet, but will pick up a copy eventually. The guys at Audiogon are saying great things about the current tour, such as Roger is still in voice and Pete is sawing down forests with his guitar. That, and the bass guy and drummer are both excellent musicians, so the band is playing quite tight.

Nov 3, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 27
I saw The Who several years back and these guys rocked!! As much as I like to see Keith Moon bang away at the drums, Ringo's son is a fine replacement.

I will pick up the new album....and believe me, it will be on vinyl (if not already announced already).

Nov 3, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I know what you mean, but it is what it is. I'm going to see them in Ft. Lauderdale on November 20th, and will report back. Haven't heard the albulm yet, but will pick up a copy eventually. The guys at Audiogon are saying great things about the current tour, such as Roger is still in voice and Pete is sawing down forests with his guitar. That, and the bass guy and drummer are both excellent musicians, so the band is playing quite tight.

Talk up the show enough and maybe I'll change my mind!
lambda.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 27
BluesDaddy says:
Quote:

Saw them live at the Garden on September 16, 2006. One of their better performances in years. Great media show featuring all four.

I did hear Wire & Glass. It was o.k.

I ordered Endless Wire, but have not received my copy. I don't like the album art. Looks like a jazz album.

ps: What happened to the left side of Roger's face?

The Song Set:
Can’t Explain
The Seeker
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
Fragments
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy

Excerpts from Wire & Glass:
Sound Round
Pick Up The Peace
Endless Wire
We Got A Hit
They Made My Dreams Come True
Mirror Door

Baba O’ Reily
Eminence Front
Black Widow’s Eyes
Mike Post Theme
You Better You Bet
My Generation
Won’t Get Fooled Again

ENCORE:
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey/Sparks
See Me, Feel Me/Listening To You

Nov 3, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"I have many live concert memories-"

Concert On The Green - Candlestick Park / The Dead & Who together

- augustwest

Do you mean Day on the Green #8 for 1976 at the Oakland Coliseum, which happened on October 9 and 10? That would have been pretty sweet.

I went to Day on the Green #3 for 1982 with the The Who, The Clash, and T-Bone Burnett. That was part of The Who's Last Tour, and I went down to LA to see them on the same tour at the LA Coliseum, also with The Clash. That was cool stuff.

The other Who shows that I can recall specifically are the April 20, 1980 show at the Oakland Coliseum Arena (when I spray-painted The Who with a large arrow on the "o" on the hood of my VW) and the October 19, 1996 performance of Quadrophenia at the San Jose Arena.

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 27
"Do you mean Day on the Green #8 for 1976 at the Oakland Coliseum, which happened on October 9 and 10? That would have been pretty sweet."

This is exactly what I mean, sorry about the inaccuracies.

- augustwest

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"Do you mean Day on the Green #8 for 1976 at the Oakland Coliseum, which happened on October 9 and 10? That would have been pretty sweet."

This is exactly what I mean, sorry about the inaccuracies.

- augustwest

I wasn't meaning to critique your memory!
biggrin.gif
I just looked up when that show was to see if you saw the REAL and COMPLETE Who, which you did, and I am very jealous!
mad.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 27
So, with all the good reviews and nostalgia, and such, I broke down and called my best buddy/Who fan and ended up buying tickets for the show on Wednesday. Middle section of the floor, 24th row, dead center. It's going to be a blast!

Speaking of nostalgia, here is a pic of my old VW that I painted in a fit of Who-ness at my first Who concert in 1980, and even one of me within months of that show.

jpg051.jpg

jpg052.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back