is the ultra micro amp out of production?
Jan 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
glad I have my ultra micro amp n dac.

although I would not mind having a desktop amp, I would rather wait and see the upgrade for the desktop amp Tyll talked about in the past..

What upgrade is that for the desktop?

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What upgrade is that for the desktop?

I forget what all Tyll said. it was for a future upgrade down the road. it is somewhere in this headroom forum and a couple of years old. 07' or 08'. it may be in one of those first threads about the balanced desktop, I forget..

I will try and look for ya when I get time.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 33
The last time I had asked Tyll, he spoke of an upgrade for the balanced products and not the SE line. Well, those have already arrived, i.e., the Ultra Balanced Desktop Amp and the Ultra Desktop Dac.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 33
from 04/11/08

Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
last year when Tyll was asking us about what features we would like to see on a upgraded Desktop he sounded like it was possibly years away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The next Desktop Line upgrade is a ways away. When we do, It will have a microcontroller in it and all the switches will be on the front.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #20 of 33
Desktop flip years away, but what would you like to see when we do.

06-19-2007
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're quite happy with the Desktop Line as it currently stands, and have a few other fish to fry, but I know that someday we'll revisit the Desktop line and make quite a few significant changes.

At the moment, we know we want to put microcontrollers in the box so that we can:
  1. Use a display.
  2. Make "soft" switches to control what goes on inside the box, and get those dang switches off the back panel.
  3. Have a remote control.
  4. Use relays inside to route audio and be able to get rid of extra circuitry when crossfeed is disengaged.
Additionally, we would like to get a grip on Digital Signal Processing and put one in the box to:
  1. Provide Dolby Headphone.
  2. Provide a HeadRoom digital crossfeed processor for two channel audio intended to improve audio imaging on headphones, but which doesn't mess with the fidelity of the music by adding extranous cues.
  3. Provide a parametric equaliser function.
  4. Provide prestored compensation curves for "correcting" the performance of a wide variety of headphone models.
That a pretty good list of the basic stuff we want to do, but I'd ove to hear your thoughts on the kinds of feartures and functions you'd like to see in future changes to the product.

I'd like to keep something very important in mind as you comment: this product needs to be the perfect thing for you to recommend to a relatively well off technophile friend. What I mean by that is our gear should be perfect for folks who know how to appreciate quality in technical products but aren't neccesarily Head-Files or audiophiles. The target customer is a 40 year old man with a healthy wallet, and who enjoys and buys a fair few sophisticated gizmos---cameras, cars, pens, flashlights, bicycles, etc. This guy loves music, and likes gear, but may not neccesarily be looking for a hobby.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #21 of 33
You'll have to understand I said all those things when it was for me to say them, and that's not the case anymore. Travis has his own agenda and ways of going about getting there, so I wouldn't take my old words as indicative of what the company's intentions are now, they may or may not be and it's no longer for me to make any comments about HeadRoom's future directions.

Please don't read this as me not liking the company's directions or anything of the kind, it's simply not my job anymore. Again, I don't want the echo of my words of the past to be seen as accurate indicators of what HeadRoom is intending to do today.

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #22 of 33
I'm looking at the Desktop Portable and am wondering what will be its fate. I thought the Ultra Micros were doing better than it in terms of sales.
eek.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #23 of 33
Is there any chance of a repeat of the Airhead/Bithead scenario...both were dropped in favor of the Total Airhead/Total Bithead and the prices were lowered considerably. That would be awesome!

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #24 of 33
For the record, I did a due diligence in October, before ordering my Ultra Desktop Amp, asking the folks at Headroom whether any model changes were planned. I was told no.

That said, that old post of Tyll's comments is pretty interesting.

What about it, Headroom, how soon might we see any new model Desktop amps?

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record, I did a due diligence in October, before ordering my Ultra Desktop Amp, asking the folks at Headroom whether any model changes were planned. I was told no.

That said, that old post of Tyll's comments is pretty interesting.

What about it, Headroom, how soon might we see any new model Desktop amps?

Hi Hatmann,

Although this question is likely better directed at Mr. Jamey Warren [HR Product Development Manager], i feel pretty safe in saying HeadRoom has no current plans to add any new models to our Desktop Line in 2010.
ph34r.gif

Cheers,
jorge
HR Service & Sales Manager

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #27 of 33
Thanks, Jorge, customers will appreciate knowing that.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 33
Now that both Ultra Micro units are no longer available, some of the product description pages need to be re-edited to not include mention of these units.

The DPS 'What We Think' article still recommends that the DPS may be used with the Ultra Micro units. Unless you wish to reach previous Ultra Micro purchasers, new customers may be looking for a product that's no longer available.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that both Ultra Micro units are no longer available, some of the product description pages need to be re-edited to not include mention of these units.

The DPS 'What We Think' article still recommends that the DPS may be used with the Ultra Micro units. Unless you wish to reach previous Ultra Micro purchasers, new customers may be looking for a product that's no longer available.

yes...this is realy something that headroom should fix in their website.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes...this is realy something that headroom should fix in their website.

will do asap
redface.gif

btw, the Ultra Micro DAC remains available as of this writing!

cheers,
jorge
HR Service & Sales Manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back