Is the Thinkpad headphone output good?
Nov 29, 2019 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

enigmo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm still looking for the right notebook to buy. Do you know how good or bad the headphone output is in a Thinkpad E490, T490s or X1 Carbon G7? Not many people write about it, I found only threads about problems like "mine doesn't work" or similar. And I believe there is quite some criticism.

Lenovo uses different chips for the headphone output I believe, cheaper ones for the entry level E490.

I currently have a Sennheiser Momentum 2 that I would plug in, it's an 18 ohms headphone. And my current notebook is a $199 Trekstor (cheap brand), and it's headphone output has problems like constant hiss, ground hum and weird noises when on battery.

But what I do like about my current laptop is that it produces lots of bass, the sound with the Momentum is really good and very pleasant. My last DAC buy didn't go that well, so now I want to think.. from the ground up. Maybe I need no external DAC at all, or maybe I need one in any case.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 2
No laptop analog out is good. I would not buy a PC of any kind based on the soundcard or audio chipset. If you are satisfied, stop there. If not, a USB DAC will be a significant upgrade for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back