Is the TC Electronic Konnekt 8 strong enough to drive my DT990 pro 600ohm?
Oct 24, 2008 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Speakerjunky

New Head-Fier
I produce electronic music (electro house, trance, etc...)
I use the Tc Electronic Konnekt 8 for my DAW
Is it enough for my Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro (600ohm)?

Here are the specs for the Konnekt 8
Headphones Output (Ch. 1/2)
Connectors 2 x 1/4” Phone Jack (Stereo)

Impedance 80 Ohm

Gain Level Range -80 dBu <> +16 dBu @ 300 ohms
(analog gain scale)

THD+N < -94 dB (0.002%) @ 1 kHz, -1 dBFS

SNR >103 dB(A), > 100 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz

Freq. Response +0/-0.1 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz

Crosstalk < -100 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz

Power @ 40 Ohm Load 200mW

Power @ 600 Ohm Load 93mW

TC Electronic | Audio Interfaces | Konnekt 8

I have to crank the volume all the way up just to hear at a pleasing level. At that level I think distortion is being introduced and the sound doesn't sound clean and tight. I sure would like to avoid purchasing a headphone amp but if I have to, I was thinking about the Octavart 01. I should be able to connect the digi-out from the Konnekt 8 to the digi-in of the Octavart 01 correct?

I chose the Octavart 01 because of its digital connections, but I'd rather have a Darkforce.

How would I hook up the darkforce to the Konnekt 8? Via headphone out of konnekt 8 to darkforce or via main outs from konnekt 8 to darkforce.
Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

confused_face_2.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I haven't heard the konnekt8 but by all reports it has a great DAC. You'd probably be better off amping the analog signal than using a separate DAC. That said, you might also be happier with a different headphone that can be amped well by the konnekt8.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 8
I do have different headpones (Sony MDR's) and they work perfectly fine while producing. I just want to be able to to use the DT990's while producing because they feel like feathers on your head and they are considerably flat. I just can't seem to get that deep bass everyone has been talking about when they use them. Do you recommend an amp that I could use to amp the analog signal? Would I connect the amp between the headphone out of the Konnekt 8 and the headphones?

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 8
I just got a response from someone at beyerdynamics.

"William,

Thanks for choosing beyerdynamic. That TC Electronic sound card is definitely not providing enough power to optimally run the DT 990 PRO and could possibly cause some damage.

The DT 990 PRO has an optimal impedance of 600 ohms. Basically, when you run the TC Electronic unit at 80ohms, the DT 990 is thirsting for more power. That is why you have to crank the volume and don’t really get such a great sound. You’re not really hearing the true sound of the DT 990. Also, there is a chance of damaging the drivers by running them at that impedance level. The lack of power is making them work too hard.

Ultimately you would need a headphone amp or some other device that can provide and output impedance at or close to 600 ohms. Even something that puts out 250 or 400 ohms would work better.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Anthony Zammit
"

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm not a big fan of beyerdynamics, so I haven't spent a lot of time researching what works best with them. I've heard people have had good results with the M^3, and a lot of pro gear is designed to work well with high impedance cans. I still think you might be better off trying to solve the problem by replacing the headphones rather than replacing the amp.

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 8
I would replace the headphones but since I spent over $400 on the manufaktur to customize them with my choice of colors etc and my stage name, I'm a bit too far in the hole to back out. After reading the response from beyerdynamics I'm considering on buying a headphone amp.

Do you think the Darkvoice 336i would be a good choice for my first headphone amp? I heard that darkvoice amps pair up really well with the dt990's. Anyone beg to differ?

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speakerjunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a response from someone at beyerdynamics.

"William,

Thanks for choosing beyerdynamic. That TC Electronic sound card is definitely not providing enough power to optimally run the DT 990 PRO and could possibly cause some damage.

The DT 990 PRO has an optimal impedance of 600 ohms. Basically, when you run the TC Electronic unit at 80ohms, the DT 990 is thirsting for more power. That is why you have to crank the volume and don’t really get such a great sound. You’re not really hearing the true sound of the DT 990. Also, there is a chance of damaging the drivers by running them at that impedance level. The lack of power is making them work too hard.

Ultimately you would need a headphone amp or some other device that can provide and output impedance at or close to 600 ohms. Even something that puts out 250 or 400 ohms would work better.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Anthony Zammit
"

Actually this is wrong .... you don't run the headphones at 80 ohm at all, the TC Konnekt supports 600ohm headphones and provides plenty of power to them - 93mW to be exact.

The maximum power handling of the headphone is 100mW - sounds like it's A-OK to me ....
smily_headphones1.gif

Further, if you look at the low power at low impedance, you might say that the amp in the Konnekt is made ESPECIALLY for high impedance headphones ...
smily_headphones1.gif

I have an AKG K260 pro 600 ohm (88 dB Sensitivity, 200 mW Maximum Input) that is MUCH MUCH more power hungry than the beyer dt990 pro (96 dB Sensitivity, 100mW Maximum Input) and it works just fine through the Konnekt 8, I never reached over 75% volume, it would blow of my ears ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back