Is the step always on?
Mar 22, 2006 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Reynaldo

New Head-Fier
I finally finished my step, works great, and indeed it does improve the sound of the millet, just one question, The thing is always on, wouldn´t be nice if it had an on/off switch, the fact that is always on does not shorten the life of the circuit?

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reynaldo
I finally finished my step, works great, and indeed it does improve the sound of the millet, just one question, The thing is always on, wouldn´t be nice if it had an on/off switch, the fact that is always on does not shorten the life of the circuit?

The way I set mine up is I put my switch into the STEPS psu itself and just shorted the MH switch making it so that if the switch is flipped both turn on/off at once. Take a look at the picture in my sig. As far as hurting the life of the circuit it shouldn't hurt it. It might shorten the life a little, but so do on/off.

-Alex-

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 11
You can use a miniature toggle switch, which takes very little space, as long as the specs allow it to be used with AC. It should be a DPDT. Earth should be always connected to the enclosure.

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
You can use a miniature toggle switch, which takes very little space, as long as the specs allow it to be used with AC. It should be a DPDT. Earth should be always connected to the enclosure.

Can't you use a SPST switch to switch on/off the hot line only?

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Can't you use a SPST switch to switch on/off the hot line only?

That certainly would work. However, I have noticed that new electronics tend to use a DPDT and switch both the hot and neutral. I don't know if this is required or not, but it seems to be common. I guess it must be for safety, perhaps in case the hot and neutral are reversed.

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reynaldo
now you are scaring me, I did not even know there were switches for ac!

Dude, a switch is just contact on and off. No contact means no current of any kind can flow past unless you exceed the voltage tolerance listed on the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back