Is the Sony NW-A45 an upgrade over FiiO X3III?
Mar 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a few FiiOs and I'm happy with the sound quality but there are a lot of bugs and lack of refinement overall and the UI is basically dead during DSD playback. The Sony is available here.. is it an upgrade over the X3III?

Can it play .ISO DSD files (SACD rips)?

Does anybody have both who can compare? Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 10
In term of interface, I will choose Sony NW-A45 over FIIO because I always face difficulties in using the scrolling :frowning2: (SONY)
The memory for both DAPs are more or less the same with expandable memory. (Draw)
FIIO X3-III has more output option (line out and coaxial). (FIIO)
Both can be used as an USB DAC. (Draw)
FIIO X3-III can play .iso DSD format but I am not very sure with SONY NW-A45 (tried with DSD but not .iso format). (FIIO)
In term of sound signature, I find X3-III has a more balanced and detailed sounding as compared to SONY (emphasis more on musical but this make the presentation smoother and neutral). - Personal Preference.
In my opinion, I think FIIO X3-III is a better choice provided you can bear with the UI. Ultimately, the sound will be subjective so it is always better for you to have an audition before getting it.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 10
In term of interface, I will choose Sony NW-A45 over FIIO because I always face difficulties in using the scrolling :frowning2: (SONY)
The memory for both DAPs are more or less the same with expandable memory. (Draw)
FIIO X3-III has more output option (line out and coaxial).

Don't forget the X3III has 2.5mm balanced output also. Anyway thank you very much, your info is very helpful!

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 10
Don't forget the X3III has 2.5mm balanced output also. Anyway thank you very much, your info is very helpful!
Yes! The balanced output is one major win point too! Accidentally left out this feature!

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 10
I think the Sony's are known for being kind of anemic, power wise, so that's another thing... You either need really efficient listening devices or you won't get much volume.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 10
looks like I need an amp anyway for my FiiO X3III. I will probably try the Sony. Unfortunately not many choices in the low price range and I am collecting too many crappy DAPs

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 10
looks like I need an amp anyway for my FiiO X3III. I will probably try the Sony. Unfortunately not many choices in the low price range and I am collecting too many crappy DAPs
What do you mean you need an amp for the Fiio? Like a discrete amp? Because the Fiio has more power than the Sony I think.

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 10
What do you mean you need an amp for the Fiio? Like a discrete amp? Because the Fiio has more power than the Sony I think.

Yeah a discrete amp. Based on what you said about the Sony being weak and my experience with the X3 sounds like an amp would be a good idea generally.

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah a discrete amp. Based on what you said about the Sony being weak and my experience with the X3 sounds like an amp would be a good idea generally.
I know fiio has the q5, and I think ifi just released the xdsd. Cayin, topping, Fostex, and a few others also have portable amps, I think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back