Is the Shure SRH940 right for me? Any Kalafina fans?
Apr 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #31 of 42
Not annoying at all, i'm glad i could help.
beerchug.gif

The HE400s are actually quite engaging and i find them lovely for Kalafina's music, the lack of treble is only apparent upon testing against other headphones. Actually, it feels kind of like a shrunken down W3000ANV, very engaging but loses out on the technicalities. But.... who cares about the technicalities? 
tongue.gif

Locally, (not sure about your retailers) the price of the HE400s and HD600s are roughly comparable. Personally, i'll get the HD600s and do the foam mod. It's much more comfortable and isn't as difficult to drive as the HE400s.

Very best for Kalafina? AD2000s, definitely, the W3000ANVs are a close second but they lose out on speed, which i think is a very important factor in Kalafina's music. 

That's of course, according to my personal tastes, the AD2000s present the music in a very clean, fast and exciting way, like uhh, soda, while HD600s are more like honey, slightly thicker and slower. In case your wondering, i found the HD650s very disappointing, too much coloration (and i'm coming from a W3000ANV).

Oh yeah, and if you live somewhere far from Japan and your prices happen to be different, the K701s, i feel, offers 90% of what the AD2000s can do at a much lower price. You'll have to worry about amping then, of course.

LASTLY, just thought i'll throw this in (may explain my low post count  
wink_face.gif
), an old wise ex-headfier once said that it's always good to draw a line between being an audiophile and being a gearhead. Way too many people on this forum focus on getting the best gear, well, ENJOY THE MUSIC! 

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #32 of 42
Lol, your post count does seem a little low considering how much knowledge you have and how many headphones you have tried. The amping of the HE-400's seem a bit contradictory. I would've though the 600's would be the ones that definitely need amping. The owner of HiFiMan Dr. Fang said he 400's were made specifically with low impedance and high sensitivity so it could run out of an Ipod or phone. After my experiences with the 558's I don't think I could ever go back to sennheisers. I'm kind of skeptical about the AKG's. Reading comments about how they are too cold and analytical with anaemic bass and plastic vocals puts me off them.

And please don't tempt me with the Ad2000's :p The reviews are very tempting but they cost £400 for me which is twice as much as the AD1000's and a lot more than the HE-400's. Plus the AD2000's will probably need an expensive amp. Your quote is very true. A lot of people seem like they are collecting gear and to be honest I feel like I'm falling into that as well. I just want to find the sweet spot between price/performance. My ears aren't developed enough so I don't want to be paying a lot more for small improvements that I will probably never notice, such as the small technicalities you mentioned

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #33 of 42
The Sony MDR-Ma900 is also right up there on my list. 70mm drivers with concentrated bass and long term comfort sounds like a really good combination. I'm eargerly waiting a review on them.

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #34 of 42
Oh, how I miss Aramary...

Kalafina is pretty nice too, their debut song (Oblivious, Kara no Kyoukai ED1) really shocked me at the time.

Btw AD2000 doesn't really need expensive amp to sound good, I'd say its something that worth to save your money for.

The Sony MA900 seems very interesting indeed, was quite excited when I first came over the news about it. Its very likely I'll be getting a pair of it in the future regardless of "reviews"...

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #35 of 42
lol I see what you did there with the "reviews" 
wink_face.gif

Is kara no Kyoukai the "garden of sinners" anime/movie (only heard the name don't know what it is)? There was one of kalafina's song that blew me away compared to their other songs, and that's saying something since all of their songs have amazing Vocals. It's called aria. Hikaru really smashes that song, her voice was made for it. Probably my fave from them. Haven't downloaded any Kalafina Albums, I've restricted myself to youtube listening until I get the right headphone so that I can go through all their songs in the highest formet they make and sit back in amazement. 

What kind of sound signature are you hoping from the Sony's? They seem to be marketed as a "do it all" headphone which never sounds good.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #36 of 42
...hmm what? = =

Yup, "Kara no Kyoukai" & "Garden of Sinners" both refer to the same thing, ARIA is ED4 in the series. Hmm I think my most favourite among their songs is perhaps the "Seventh Heaven".. Btw why the wait? You for sure aware of that upgraditis can't be cured right
wink_face.gif

Basically I don't look for certain specific sound signatures in headphones. Comfort is the first criteria to filter out choices and which the MA900 doesn't seem to have problem with, next is to see if the headphone has any serious flaws (in both sound or other aspects), other than those is perhaps something I couldn't explain... For example, my two main headphones at the moment, Z1000 and AD1000PRM sound pretty different but I use both for exactly same purposes.. I plug both to my BCL amp all the time and simply take one depends on my mood. Btw I'd suppose a truly "do it all" headphone to be something sufficiently neutral which is very ideal to me..

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #37 of 42
Isnt Aria and "seventh Heaven" the same song?

Yeah I know, upgrade-itis can't truly be cured. It's eating me up at the moment. I really want to make the right choice, especially if it's something I can't try beforehand. You suggested the AD2000's, I'm assuming you have them? The review on headfonia seems to suggest that the AD1000RPM, although thinner is a better headphone. I don't know how the standard AD1000 would compare. The reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet is money, and also I'm waiting for reviews on the Sony's. Once those 2 are sorted I will make a thread and hopefully the suggestions will help me out. I value yours and wolf's input though, since you listen to the same songs, it holds much more credibility.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #38 of 42
No, those are different songs.. wiki

I don't own the AD2000 but have plenty experience on it though (at least like total one hour perhaps..), as its quite easy to try headphones at singapore, even for something like Stax 009.. so basically I just look for test-listen when I get interested in a model..

Have tried AD1000 before but it was too long ago that the only thing I can say is that it wasn't for me = =
As for AD2000 vs AD1000PRM, to me the AD2000 is somehow more balanced but there are also people saying that they sound identical too.. Well, I just happened to encounter the AD1000PRM with a good offer, otherwise its pretty likely for me to get an AD2000 eventually..

Btw good luck with your process of "hit or miss"... = =

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #39 of 42
Apr 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #40 of 42
Ah, that review.. I'd say more on the "agree" side, some main ideas are there

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #42 of 42
To me, the review overexaggerated the differences in some ways.. hmm

And also I don't really think the AD900 is really of that good as the review was trying to imply..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back