Is the SCD-1 still a good buy?
Nov 28, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
From what I've read and the pics I've seen, that seems like a pretty apt description. As Gary said, it's a totally different look and unfortunately more run-of-the-mill in terms of cosmetics (a typical Sony black CD player). Plus, you loose the cool top loading mechanism. Google it.

I think you are thinking of the XA777es not the SCD-777es.

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I think you are thinking of the XA777es not the SCD-777es.

Maybe, but there are a couple of others (such as the 999ES?) that I might be confusing it with as well.

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #33 of 45
Wayne they are both top loading mechanisms and Allen wright does a mod to bring the SCD-1 to true balanced,where you can toggle back and forth between stock and modified player,really cool.Gary.

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
Wayne they are both top loading mechanisms...

Ok, my bad.
Quote:

...and Allen wright does a mod to bring the SCD-1 to true balanced,where you can toggle back and forth between stock and modified player,really cool.Gary.

That would be cool. So... why don't you do it?!?!? Uh, no need to answer. I know that if you know about it then you've obviously thought about it. I'm only baiting you! (Plus, I'm sure your jewelry budget will be getting out of whack soon...) Whew! Now I'm really baiting you!

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Heh! That's another good one. I've had a several nice listening sessions with it, and it never disappoints. I didn't realize that you had picked one up (or have since forgotten). In any case, congrats and enjoy!
cool.gif

I picked it up used/pre-owned couple of days after the NYC meet after talking to Aaron about it at the meet. I received it last week and have been enjoying it ver since.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #38 of 45
I have an SCD-1 and have had a significant number of mods performed by Richard Kern (www.audiomod.com). I have been very pleased with the improvements from each round of mods. For additional information check out this link:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue6/stock.htm

There are a number of other modders to investigate including Modwright, and Vacuum State Electronics (VSE). They each have a different philosophy of how to best mod an SCD-1 / SCD777ES. But they all invlove upgrading the clock to reduce jitter and upgrading or replacing the analog output stage.

Good luck!

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #39 of 45
The last post here was more than FIFTEEN years ago, but I was curious of what you think about this unit today. I no longer have a great CD player and honestly use lossless or high-res files on a computer with my rig. I was thinking of getting a player that would be enjoyable to use and retain some value for a good while, and I thought this one might. I’m trying to figure out pricing on these and what is reasonable today. Do you still have yours, do you love it? :)

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #40 of 45
The last post here was more than FIFTEEN years ago, but I was curious of what you think about this unit today. I no longer have a great CD player and honestly use lossless or high-res files on a computer with my rig. I was thinking of getting a player that would be enjoyable to use and retain some value for a good while, and I thought this one might. I’m trying to figure out pricing on these and what is reasonable today. Do you still have yours, do you love it? :)
Sounds like a case of nostalgia to me. Unlike the turntable, CD players are not a good investment for either sound or value. Even parts will not be easily available in the near future especially in the case of the SCD-1. Most of the lasers and spindle motors are now only available used on eBay and frankly are not close to being worth what they are asking for them, old used finite parts! Don’t get me wrong, it was a thing of beauty, bought mine in late 1999 and sold it when Sony started to run out of parts, the ones mentioned above. Sneakly kept the gold puck as a memorial! 📀. Want my advice, stay with lossless plugged into a nice sound system and spin an LP next time you miss the days of olde!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #41 of 45
Thanks for your thoughts. You’re totally right. I wonder if any CD players might ever have appreciating value - probably not generally. The parts issue is a key one. I do indeed go lossless for most listening through my computer. :)

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #42 of 45
I’ll say get one and ride it to the ground..
Life is short. If you want one then get it.

I always chuckled whenever someone mentioned the word ‘investment’ in this forum. Who are we kidding here.. 😄😄😄

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #43 of 45
Ha, love it. Yeah.

I just wish some of this old stuff was so much cheaper now.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #45 of 45
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back