Is the low sensitivity of K271's outweighed by their isolation? (iPod use)
Feb 8, 2005 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stream

New Head-Fier
Okay, here's the deal.

I'm looking for a set of closed cans for my iPod. I won't be walking around with them, though, so it's not really "portable" use. More like sitting in the bookstore with my iPod and headphones in a comfy chair
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't want canalphones or in-ear phones - I had a set of Ety ER-4's and couldn't stand having something in my ears. I also need closed cans because A) I want isolation from the outside world and B) I don't want other people giving me dirty looks because they can hear my music.

So. I really like what I've read about the sound of the Grado SR80's and I love their looks, but they're open design, so sadly they're out.

I've read good things about the HD25-1's, but I hate their looks, and they don't look all that comfortable.

The ATH-A900's are a little expensive - I was hoping to stay under $150.

So far, I love the K271's. I like their looks, they are said to be comfortable, and I've found a used pair in great condition for $130. But, will my iPod drive them? I've read posts saying that it won't, but just to what extent are these kinds of judgments? Will I really not be happy with the sound I get from an iPod to K271's? Wouldn't the isolation make volume levels sorta a moot point? I don't need excessive volume.

I'm really wanting to go with the 271's, I just don't want to be unhappy with how they sound with my iPod.

Thanks guys.

-Jesse

Feb 8, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 16
Imo you really need to audition 271s before you buy - they're very controversial phones. If you prefer bass over HF extension you might want to look somewhere else, like Ultrasones or Senn 280. Very comfortable and in the case of HFI, more natural mids compared to 271s.

Edit: on HFI - very easy to drive - almost as loud as hd25 coming from ipod !
basshead.gif

You might want to try your ipod with HD25 ... sound is simply amazing. Use of velour pads definitely helps in comfort dept.

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 16
While I don't know the exact output of the iPod in milliwatts, I can give you personal experience from exactly the setup you're proposing - iPod to AKG 271s. While you're not going to get hearing-damage loud levels from the iPod without an amp, you'll certainly get well past loud enough, and probably even a little past obnoxiously loud. I think you'll be happy with the 271s and iPod (I certainly am), but Nak Man is right - you should audition them before you buy them. (Caveat: the 271 sounds much different burned-in than out of the box, IMO, so keep that in mind if the pair you try ends up being straight from a box at a music store.)

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys.

Nak Man, bass is not a big issue with me. As long as it's there, and it sounds accurately reproduced, then I don't need to have ear-splittingly powerful bass extension. However, I am a stickler for smooth mid-bass and mids, and crisp, clear highs.

-Jesse

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stream
Nak Man, bass is not a big issue with me. As long as it's there, and it sounds accurately reproduced, then I don't need to have ear-splittingly powerful bass extension. However, I am a stickler for smooth mid-bass and mids, and crisp, clear highs.

[size=large]AKG K271 Studio[/size]

Sounds like that is definately the sound you are looking for. I could reprint that paragraph as an exact description of those headphones.
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 16
I just ordered a pair of 271S from www.djmart.com for $134.99 plus $8.83 shipping NEW. They are currently listed for $149.99 but there is a button on the link that's called "Negotiate Price" click it and write that www.djmart.com had a special 10 days ago in Jan. for $134.99 coupon code "JANCLEAR10" on checkout.

p.s. I negotiated a price on 2/3/05 and ordered on 2/4/05 and just got an email from them with a UPS tracking today. I thought I'd throw that out to you just in case you want new cans for a few bucks more but would have to wait for them to ship to you.

Feb 9, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stream
Well, I've ordered some 271's from www.djmart.com, and we'll see how I like them.

-Jesse

You get the $134.99 price?

Feb 9, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al
You get the $134.99 price?

No, but in my order comments I mentioned the deal they gave you, and they let me have them for $148 shipped.

So close enough. Thanks, by the way
smily_headphones1.gif

-Jesse

Apr 3, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 16
the ipod and most of the other primary models (the more expensive hd players) output is 16 ohms and 20 MW on the left and right channels (this partially explains why the 32 ohm stock ipod headphones don't sound that good to many peoples ears). The cheaper and lower the models (smaller units, smaller drives, flash players, etc) also generally run at 16 ohms, but fewer MW per channel.

Apr 3, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 16
I have a 4G ipod, Ray Samuels sr-71 amp, and the akg k271s. The ipod alone will do an excellent job driving the k271s, unless you need ear-splitting volume levels. I'm not the biggest fan of the k271s (compared to K340/HD600/HD650/HP1000, lol), but its isolation is easily the best I've heard - definately a great choice when extreme isolation is required.

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 16
have you tried eupod its a great little program for boosting volume levels it might distort in some headphones, with its maximum setting on eupod you won't go halfway on the volume meter

google: eupod pro

Apr 3, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 16
Ipod 4G has an output power of 30mW @ 16 ohms. If I remember well AKG's k271 studio have a nominal impedance of 50 (55?) ohms.
I use Senns hd570 (64 ohms and open cans) with my Zen touch (20mW @ 32 ohms) and I can use them even in noisy rooms pushing the player at the highest levels (say 20-22 on a 25 scale). So don't worry too much, if you don't like the sound add an amp (a little c-moy buffer will be enough)

You'll notice a slight increase in battery life (even at maximum output levels)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back