Is the Lavry DA10 still relevant?
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

winegeek

New Head-Fier
I've found a Lavry DA10 available locally, which seems pretty rare (in Canada). I've searched the forums, and most experience with this unit is 5-6 years old, and somewhat uneven. Is it sill worthwhile building a system around this DAC?

My current headphones are Hifiman HE-500 and HE-5LEs and at some point I plan to pick up a pair of LCD-2s. My next 'investment' is an upgrade of my DAC/Amp combo to replace my Fiio E7/E9, and this Lavry looked like an interesting opportunity. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 27
I'd say it's absolutely still relevant.  The real question is cost.  It will be a definite upgrade from your Fiio setup up, but at a certain price point you may be able to do better.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 27
The DA10 as a dac is pretty decent but its amp section has some technical issues performance wise. It would be good to build a system around it though, especially if you are considering on adding a good amp like the Violectric v181/v200. Otherwise the Benchmark DAC1 or the  Centrance DACmini(heard it in a friend's place)(with 1 ohm mod/ without it you prefer it) are very solid performers too.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 27
wow, it is really rare to see a DA10 in Canada. How much is it? If the price is right, it is a very good choice.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 27
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be using it mainly as a DAC, but having the headphone out would be a bonus. I like the idea of having an all-in-one device, but it looks like a separate DAC and amp seems to be the most flexible option.

By all appearances, it is new stock, so the price is about $1000. That's what's causing me to hesitate, as there looks like a number of solid contenders in the $1000-1500 range. On the other side, since this is available locally, I don't have to wait for shipping or deal with the extra expense of customs/tax/etc...

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 27
Agreed, its a very good DAC - there is always competition, but like you said, its physically there and avoiding the taxes, import fees, etc. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 27
I agree that, there are competitions.

I have used Lavry DA10, DA11, APOGEE MINIDAC, BENCHMARK DAC1, and have some hours on GRACE M902. I used these for headphones and active monitors. Each one has its pro and cons.

On DA10/11 I feel most satisfied for the volume control. It is controlled digitally, but it is analogue. It fits my need to drive the monitors directly. I have better feeling with Lavry volume control while some people hate it and prefer the big knobs on DAC1 and M902. The volume on apogee minidac is tiny, and affects the sound so much. the sound is much better when jumpered to bypass the volume.

Since the DA10 is available locally, you may take the chance to use it before making a decision.

Just want to remind you that it comes with XLR analogue outputs only. If you need unbalanced RCA output, you need to have an converter or converting cables, and open the case to set the jumper.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 27

NFB-10 ($500 new or so) made me immediately sell my Lavry. Actually, there are reports of people selling Lavry after playing with NFB-12 ($200) 
wink_face.gif
  just search the site

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 27
^ also reports of the NFB sounding bright just to keep things in balance 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back