Is the K701 the wrong cans for me? Or is it a amp issue?
May 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To directly answer your question, I think the K701s are the wrong headphones for you, and many others. This is becoming a "sad truth" for too many users. In your situation, it would be better to go hunting for a different set of headphones, more to your liking. IMHO, YMMV.

x2 as usual
biggrin.gif

As said before: it's kind of silly to buy a hp that you don't really like in the first place and try to tweak them with an (expensive) amp
rolleyes.gif

There are sooooo many choices, I can't imagine there's no hp out there that can serve your needs. There must be a shop in Malmø where you can audit some cans?

Good luck,

Ben

May 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 as usual
biggrin.gif

As said before: it's kind of silly to buy a hp that you don't really like in the first place and try to tweak them with an (expensive) amp
rolleyes.gif

There are sooooo many choices, I can't imagine there's no hp out there that can serve your needs. There must be a shop in Malmø where you can audit some cans?

Good luck,

Ben

I agree the akg's is perhaps not the cans for me. and buying audio equipment based on reviews (unheard) really is kind a stupid. Never the less I have done it in the past,, and I will probably do it again.. although my next pair of cans will not be bought with out testing.

Head Amps on the other hand is not something which grow on trees in the shops in Malmø or nearby cities,, and especially tube amps.. (another reason why I most likely will buy audio equipment once more based on reviews and friendly suggestions..)

May 16, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

x2 as usual
biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif

Good luck,

Ben

It is difficult to know if you like them if you can't hear them properly because your amp is inadequate....

May 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 64
I purchased 701's based on reviews. What a mistake that was. I was driving them with the X-Can V3 and a Little Dot 2++. I let the 701's break in for at least 300 hours, and still they sounded thin and cold.

May 16, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #20 of 64
I suggest you buy a headphone designed for low volume listening.

May 16, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is difficult to know if you like them if you can't hear them properly because your amp is inadequate....

True, but what is wrong with starting with a hp that you really like
confused.gif

May 16, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the akg's is perhaps not the cans for me. and buying audio equipment based on reviews (unheard) really is kind a stupid. Never the less I have done it in the past,, and I will probably do it again.. although my next pair of cans will not be bought with out testing.

Head Amps on the other hand is not something which grow on trees in the shops in Malmø or nearby cities,, and especially tube amps.. (another reason why I most likely will buy audio equipment once more based on reviews and friendly suggestions..)

I buy stuff sound unheard through internet vendors and individuals all the time. I either buy used and priced right, so I know I can get most of my money back, or I buy from a vendor with a good return policy, so all I have to lose is return shipping. I think it's actually a better method than walking into a shop and auditioning equipment in someone else's system, in someone else's room, with someone else looking over my shoulder. 30 minutes in a shop is a marginal audition. 30 days at home is a definitive one.

I still contend that a good home amp is only going to improve the K701s enough to make them a better version of what you're already hearing, and that they probably aren't the phones for you. I'd feel differently if you were trying to drive them with an iPod, but there shouldn't be that much of a gap between a good portable and a home amp. An audible gap, yes, but not one big enough to make them different phones. But I don't know the 701s and I could be dead wrong. When you get a good home amp, please report back. If going from a Hornet to a more powerful amp transforms the 701s from something you don't like to true love, that would be really valuable information.

Tim

May 16, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you get a good home amp, please report back. If going from a Hornet to a more powerful amp transforms the 701s from something you don't like to true love, that would be really valuable information.

Tim

Very valuable information, indeed
eek.gif

Well said Tim!

May 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Nothing.
But who is to say that the K701 are not it?

Only the the beholder can tell.

I just think that this whole 'recommend me an amp, because I don't like my phones' discussion is the world upside-down.

He can spend literally thousands of cash in search of an amp that makes his K701s at least bearable, coming to the conclusion that the AKGs are not for him.

My advice: get rid of the K701s (this is hardly a beginners phones), try out some candy out there and pick the one you like most for your current setup and build on on that.

Meanwhile, please don't forget to just enjoy the music instead of focus on every flaw in your rig.
wink.gif

Take care!

May 16, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

I just think that this whole 'recommend me an amp, because I don't like my phones' discussion is the world upside-down.

He can spend literally thousands of cash in search of an amp that makes his K701s at least bearable, coming to the conclusion that the AKGs are not for him.

My advice: get rid of the K701s (this is hardly a beginners phones), try out some candy out there and pick the one you like most for your current setup and build on on that.

Meanwhile, please don't forget to just enjoy the music instead of focus on every flaw in your rig.
wink.gif

Take care!

Beside the point a bit I think.
The two questions were:
Q1: Are the K701 for me?
A1: That's for you to decide, but you have no way to do that, because you don't have the amp to make them sound right.
Q2: Or do I have an amp problem?
A2: Yes. With a better amp the K701 will not give you the problems you described.

Remains that he might be better off with a pair of phones that don't need elaborate amping to sound right.

May 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

Beside the point a bit I think.
The two questions were:
Q1: Are the K701 for me?
A1: That's for you to decide, but you have no way to do that, because you don't have the amp to make them sound right.
Q2: Or do I have an amp problem?
A2: Yes. With a better amp the K701 will not give you the problems you described.

Remains that he might be better off with a pair of phones that don't need elaborate amping to sound right.

*This is the battle of the Dutchess*
wink.gif

A1: A simply yes or no will do, really. Audition them on your current rig and decide, it's that simple.....

A2: no, in no means you have an amp problem. The iBasso D1 and the Zero-Dac/Amp are highly acclaimed here. You have to find a pair of fine headphones for it!

That will keep you satisfied during the inescapable upgrade-virus (welcome to Head-fi and...etc, etc....)

May 16, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

wink.gif

Take care!

I think the only real flaw in this logic is that a lot of the favored cans discussed on these boards require a good amp to really shine, and even then, there are the HP/ HPamp synergy issues to wrestle with.

300 ohm Sen's, 250 ohm Beyer's, and the sensitive yet demanding K701's are all best served by desktop amplification in my understanding (admittedly, I only really have experience with the Beyer's, but the right tubes make these babies sing). So what candy is he left with from which to chose? Grado 225's? IEM's?

It seems to me that a decent amp is really a must have to experience any of the popular full-sized phones at their best?

I have yet to see a bad review of the WA6 + K701... In your shoes, that's probably the direction I'd be leaning, but admittedly I would be doing nothing more than relying on positive comments from the anonymous denizens of head-fi
wink.gif
Best of luck!

May 16, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #29 of 64
I don't have as much experience as other members here, but in my opinion the problems you describe are due to lack of power. I have tried the 701s with several amps and when they aren't very powerful the 701s lack bass, dynamics and sound congested.

I have a CK2III that sounds excellent for the price (around $200) with them, but still a more powerful amp would be better.

For the reference I use a SP Extreme with them that I feel has enough power, however I expect to finish my B22 this weekend and I will see if it can be improved
smily_headphones1.gif

Diego

May 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have yet to see a bad review of the WA6 + K701... In your shoes, that's probably the direction I'd be leaning, but admittedly I would be doing nothing more than relying on positive comments from the anonymous denizens of head-fi
wink.gif
Best of luck!

I have the maxxed WA6....it's a great amp, but it still doesn't fix the inherent problems in the 701. The main problem is that it is simply too lean in the upper bass/lower mids. They rob music of presence, depth....the feeling that there is a hint of some real musical event going on. The 2nd issue, and one that is think is maybe present because of issue #1, is that the phones have an annoying peak in their frequency response in the uppermids/lower treble, i.e...the presence region. If there was a bit more foundation available in the lower registers, this might not be an issue.

My ED9's and my Markl D5000's are infintely more enjoyable than my 701's..whether my stock or my ALO modded pair. Ken's re-cabling helped things somewhat, but didn't turn it into a can I could deal with as my regular headphone. So, I went shopping elsewhere....I really suggest the OP does the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back