Is the Iphone 2G any good?
Jan 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nachodlv

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

I've been an addict of headgear since my pre-teens and have used quite a bit of audio gadgets. Now I'm on the search for a hi-fi grade rig but can't make up my mind as I do not know how large the "quality leap" is going to be. Also, I own an Iphone (the original one, not the 3G) but have not found any reviews of its SQ
frown.gif

I actually like the sound of wht I've had so far (Sony and JVC Marshmallows yet un-modded) IEMs although I would agree their sound muffled and mushy with poor mids and highs that need to be enhanced via equalizer (trebble boost in the case of Apple) just in order to get a decent range.

My current rig comprises a 5.5G Ipod which mostly stays at home and a 2G Iphone plus the FX34 version of the marshmallows, the latter being what I carry around ALWAYS.

The kind of music I listen to would range from Heavy Metal to Classical incuding Springsteen, R.E.M., U2, the Stones, Beatles, Radiohead, Genesis, Jean Michel Jarre, Ethnic/World music, All types of Classical, Blues, Vocal... being left out maybe most of brit-pop and the alikes plus jazz, hip hop, most rap, and a fair chunk of the ususal billboard crap.

What would you buy? I was planning on some Klipsch X10 or Sleek Audios SA6
but don't know if the 2G Iphone is worthy of those
wink.gif
. I have considered the imod and buying a 120g unit... BTW, I've been encoding music at 320kbps as I do not have that much space for lossless, which is something I would be looking at in the case of getting a 120g Ipod.

The end line is that although I'd rathe rstick to the 2G Iphone, I'd like to build a Hi-Fi class portable allaround rig.

Also, not a clue if I would be in need of an amplifier...

THX.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 2
I thought the sound quality was pretty good out of the first gen iPhone, but I didn't listen to it that much. I used a shaved down extender to jack in a Shure e3c and a Grado RS-1. On occasion, I'd jack it into the car stereo (it has an iPod connection and controls) and use it to play music in the car. Not that often (I usually kept the iPod connected) but when I needed to charge the phone. I liked the sound quality as much as that of a 5G iPod.

However, I didn't use it for music much because of that damned recessed headphone jack. It was the only thing about the phone that I hated and a reason I went for the 3G when it came out. My father has the original now; he's not much of a music listener, so he loves it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back