Is the iMod worth the extra $199 ?
Jul 8, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #316 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it appears that for now, in order to burn in the dock caps, you would have to do it 12-15 hours at a time using the battery and then wait while recharging the battery.

Hi immtbiker (and everyone!),

This is correct, unless you have one of those ALO iMod Dock cables that have the DC jack option (as pictured above). I'm not sure if Ken released this yet. I know his website is being totally rebuilt and will be a lot better and hopefully it will have all the new stuff.
cool.gif
The upcoming ALO Vcap Dock will have a power adapter input that will allow you to play and charge at the same time (this is NOT ideal for critical listening, but it is nice for burn-in because you can let your iMod run all day and night on repeat).

Quote:

However, Ephpod allows you to play the songs on your Ipod through your computer using FooBar or whatever, so the verbage on Vinnie's site would make it seem that this should not be done with the 5.5G modification, otherwise the pinouts used to play the music through your dock cable to your USB port, would receive the higher voltage. Am I making sense?

This is not a problem because the files from the iPod are being sent digitally (via the USB port), not via the modded analog output.
icon10.gif

Quote:

But when the iPod is charging (and the dock is occupied by the charging cable), there still is the headphone jack output that was left untouched in the 5th gen mod. Soo. My question is, when charging, can you use the headphone jack and play the iPod without ruining anything connected to the iPod?

Hi unclejr,

Yes, this is totally fine, but with the 5G/5.5G iMod, the headphone output is just a stock headphone output, NOT the modded line-out (which exits from the dock connector on the modded 5G/5.5G iMods).

You only need to use the ALO iMod Dock cable with the 5G/5.5G iMod when you are actually connecting the modded line out to your amp. When charging, transferring files, or doing anything that does not use the modded line-out, it is totally safe... I promise!
wink.gif

All,

I really want my iMod website to make perfect sense for everyone, so please feel free to email me (EMAIL, not PM) with suggestions for how to update the wording to make it better (easier to understand, with the best possible explanations).

Because there are 4G and 5G iMods (which are different), I tried to separate the differences in the iMod on the site, but the site starts out by explaining what the iMod is all about (what is done and why).

Hope this info helps... and thank you all for your interest, feedback, and support!

Vinnie

PS: If there are threads here on headfi with questions about the iMod and you don't see me responding (most likely because I'm busy and have not had the chance to read all these posts), PLEASE feel free to email me a link to the post with the questions and I'll be happy to respond. You can also email me your questions privately if you don't want to post on the forums.

Also, I much prefer EMAIL than headfi PM because I check my email much more frequently than I visit headfi, so email will result in a much faster reply!

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #317 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not a problem because the files from the iPod are being sent digitally (via the USB port), not via the modded analog output.
icon10.gif

Damn, now I really feel like a dufus (like the Electric Prunes said "I had too much to dream last night)". Of course the Ephpod uses the USB port...what was I thinking
confused.gif
. It just shows that I am working too hard and not listening to enough music
blink.gif

I won't need a dual function dock because I only use mine for portable uses.

I need more of my recreational drug: music.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #318 of 337
Thanks Vinnie for clarifying everyone's questions. To all, it would not make sense to play out of the headphone jack for the burn-in, as many have stated, but for a cheap listening solution while it's charging, some music is better than nothing!

Probably ANYTHING that is trying to pull a signal off of the line out pin on the dock connector is not a good idea, is my thinking. However those things that are simply for charging or syncing (power and data pins) are innocuous. Regarding your ephpod, if it is using the DATA pins to pull the songs from the iPod's drive (which sounds reasonable, using it basically as an external storage device), then it should still be fine. Again it's the audio line out that one needs to be concerned with, I think.

Can someone confirm this?

Regarding burn-in, the caps being in the dock and not the iPod itself, burn in has gotta go through the entire signal path to be effective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys for your clarification. This is what I thought, and makes perfect sense.

unclejr...Using your theory (when charging, can you use the headphone jack and play the iPod without ruining anything connected to the iPod?) would work, but seems to me, would defeat the purpose of being able to burn-in the Black Gates for the necessary 200 hours.

So it appears that for now, in order to burn in the dock caps, you would have to do it 12-15 hours at a time using the battery and then wait while recharging the battery.

I use Ephpod to transfer my songs to my Ipods (don't like that Itunes blanks out folders of songs that have been moved to other directories, when doing a new synch). However, Ephpod allows you to play the songs on your Ipod through your computer using FooBar or whatever, so the verbage on Vinnie's site would make it seem that this should not be done with the 5.5G modification, otherwise the pinouts used to play the music through your dock cable to your USB port, would receive the higher voltage. Am I making sense?

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #320 of 337
I just recieved my iModed iPod and have done about 10 hrs of burn in so far. I can already hear more sounds in the music background than I did with just an iPod and it has a much deeper soundstang than before. Just on the 2007 Headroom Micro Amp and HD 650s it may come close to my $ 10,000 - $15,000 Home Stereo System but then I haven't been able to setup my stereo since I moved. Hehe I can't wait to hear what the iMod sounds like when it is burned in. Another funny thing is I have not recieved my Synergistic Research mini to mini Tricon cable yet but using a cheap cable I had lying around and it sounds this good.

I would recommend an iMod if you like soundstaging and hearing more from your music on an iPod.

Now if only the Hornet would get hear and beat the 2007 Headroom Micro Amp so I can have a battery powered Amp instead of carring around a power brick with my Amp.

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #321 of 337
The thread title should be changed to "Yes the iMod is worth $250 plus shipping."

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #322 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewWG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recieved my iModed iPod and have done about 10 hrs of burn in so far. I can already hear more sounds in the music background than I did with just an iPod and it has a much deeper soundstang than before. Just on the 2007 Headroom Micro Amp and HD 650s it may come close to my $ 10,000 - $15,000 Home Stereo System but then I haven't been able to setup my stereo since I moved. Hehe I can't wait to hear what the iMod sounds like when it is burned in. Another funny thing is I have not recieved my Synergistic Research mini to mini Tricon cable yet but using a cheap cable I had lying around and it sounds this good.

I would recommend an iMod if you like soundstaging and hearing more from your music on an iPod.

Now if only the Hornet would get hear and beat the 2007 Headroom Micro Amp so I can have a battery powered Amp instead of carring around a power brick with my Amp.

congrats, a few hundred hours to go yet!
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #323 of 337
yeah it is. and according to Ken's ALO thread the best upgrade is Imod + V-Cap for $800+ bux

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #328 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT HE SAID!

X2

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #329 of 337
x3

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #330 of 337
"What he said", "X2", and "X3" are not worthy posts. Not to mention "ROTFL" and "QFT".

Surely people of such high intellect can construct a better post to help contribute to the conversation.

Here's an example:

2 Guys walk into a bar...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back