Is the iMod worth the extra $199 ?
Sep 21, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #46 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by AusTex
I really should ask Vinnie himself, but I can't understand why he won't modify newer Gen Ipods to get a clean line out for use with a portable amp?? I understand there is a better chip in the 4G, but I would sacrifice a little SQ for a brand new DAP with better features. Lastly, why can't he do this mod with other DAPs??

It's about the space inside the case.

Sep 21, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #47 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
It's about the space inside the case.

And apparently the new ones are more difficult to open without scratching or denting the case.

Sep 22, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #48 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by AusTex
I understand there is a better chip in the 4G

The 4G and 5G DAC are almost identical. The DAC in the 5g replaced the one in the 4g in Wolfson's line as the top quality low power stereo DAC. The 4g has a bigger model number, but if you look at Wolfson's line, they are in the process of renumbering all their DACs to start with the same two digits. The difference in model number makes no difference in sound quality.

See ya
Steve

Sep 22, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #49 of 337
Right, which is why the issue is the space for the mods. The case is just not conducive to the iMod in the 5G, unfortunately. Vinne has said this before.

Fortunately, 4G iPods are widely available, and cheaper than ever.

Sep 26, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #50 of 337
well there are new unused ipod 4G 60gb cases available on the net. granted its kinda expensive (like $50) but couldn't Vinnie implement the mod and then use the replacement case below:

http://www.ipodmechanic.com/product_...products_id=72

now the issue is that the case wouldn't fit, say, the new 80gb 5G ipod due to a slightly different shape... but i believe this wouldn't be a big problem. i'll just tape it up!

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #51 of 337
Aluren!!! With your magnificient post, It stopped me from bidding on a $205 brand new sealed original package ipod photo 60GB (Ended at $217)... you might wanna say '' Dude, you had the chance to buy a brand new 60 GB sealed original Ipod photo at this price and you didn't bid ?''. Well, I surprised myself too cause all I wanted was a clean ipod to send out to RWA but a used ipod doesn't mean it isn't clean and would cost much cheaper.

So, for the fifth time, I was in search for another one, cheaper but still clean (mostly want the screen and the chrome to be scratchless) AND there's where your non-intented help was really nice, I could look at any scratched chrome case and just replacing it for $60. The main reason why I don't care about front panel scratches is that I'll Colorware it (Scratch resistant paint) in Black for $70 . All I have to do is to find one around $70. So I'll have for the near-similar price (Small dog 189$ special will be gone by midnight) of $209 a fully working scratch resistant (adding Invisible Shield on the back+screen too) clean 60GB Ipod Photo with a color that fit my tastes.
biggrin.gif

Thx alot for your contribution to this wonderful thread haha !!!

BTW : So far, How do you like your Imod along your Cryo mini to mini ?

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #52 of 337
After getting the new 5G 80 GB today I just can repeat what is said zillion times before: YES, THE IMOD IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Although I had my problems with it due to its limited portablity, now after comparing both players I cannot understand why I ever thought about selling it.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #54 of 337
how long does it take for him to Imod the Ipod?

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #55 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweekz
how long does it take for him to Imod the Ipod?

He says 14 days.

I overnighted mine on 11th (I think) and received it back on the 28th. I assume he meant 14 business days or 14 days plus return shipping, which is pretty much on target.

Mine is still burning in but it certainly sounds much better than my ipod video or Nano. Its very close to rivaling my computer set up, which sounds fantastic to me.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #56 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
He says 14 days.

I overnighted mine on 11th (I think) and received it back on the 28th. I assume he meant 14 business days or 14 days plus return shipping, which is pretty much on target.

Mine is still burning in but it certainly sounds much better than my ipod video or Nano. Its very close to rivaling my computer set up, which sounds fantastic to me.

$15 dollars is pretty hefty for return shipping does he overnight? or priorty?

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #57 of 337
Quote:

$15 dollars is pretty hefty for return shipping does he overnight? or priorty?

Priority. I never complain about shipping that is made known to me- either it is worth it or it isnt. When you are talking shipping and handling its hard to tell- he is paying for supplies and shipping an item that is insured at $4-$500. I assume it costs him, $8 or so, so just pretend the imod is priced at $206.

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #58 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
Priority. I never complain about shipping that is made known to me- either it is worth it or it isnt. When you are talking shipping and handling its hard to tell- he is paying for supplies and shipping an item that is insured at $4-$500. I assume it costs him, $8 or so, so just pretend the imod is priced at $206.

well i bought my first Ipod (4th gen 60gig photo) from small dog store

refurbed that look brand new

just for Imod

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #59 of 337
You will not regret it. You are in for a treat! I love my recent 4G 60gig imod so much that I ordered another 4G 60gig photo be to imodded. To me, the sound difference is incredible. You will notice it immediately. Vinnie told me to be patient and wait after 200+ hours of burn-in time for it to get lot better.

Quote:

well i bought my first Ipod (4th gen 60gig photo) from small dog store

refurbed that look brand new

just for Imod

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #60 of 337
well i have a go vibe 5

i need a better mini to mini than a radio shack one
frown.gif

i need better closed can than a 81DJ
frown.gif

any suggestions?