Is the iMod worth the extra $199 ?
Sep 16, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #31 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hutto
I understand completely, JayJayz.

We were just explaining to New007 why one would not want to hook earbuds directly to the line-out of the modded iPod, with or without an attenuator. Nothing but trouble in it. My point was that if you don't want or need or can't afford an amplifier then you don't want to mod your iPod.

yep, i didnt read over your response properly, lol.

but you did say; "have the iPod modified and then connect it straight to the headphone. "

and that is not possible since you do need an amp.

so i don't know what you meant there, this has turned into a great thread i believe on the worth of an imod ! I think i have been persuaded to choose an imod over a 5g ipod, purely based on SQ, which after all is what we are constantly discerning and trying to improve.

since skylab thinks the mod will improve the ipod to compete with thousand dollar CD players, i think that is big enough critisism to tell anyone the imod is great. Skylab also feels it is the best $200 he has spent on audio in avery very long time, and i know skylab is certainly unbiased, so saying this and the praise he has given has helped me with my decision.

I will also be buying a 'm' hornet as well; and also an ALO cryo mini to mini; sheesh ! damn head-fi.

i believe this to be a great upgrade over my current rig which includeds a 6 year old PCDP with a bad line out, a cheapo mini to mini, the PINT is the best part of my rig, but the hornet will just be so much better, and my dt 770 /80's which are great and will stay because of their bass, but portability is not their greatest attribute, so they have been replaced by e500's for portable use !! (which are still in postage)

so i think this is going to set me back about 1000 bucks !! and i havent even been at head-fi that long !!!

It will be worth it though, and i might sell my e500's for some ety er-4s's which will put 400 bucks back in my pocket, or so.

mad.gif
mad.gif
blink.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #32 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJayz
and that is not possible since you do need an amp.

No, you don't need an amp. An amp is just a volume controller, you could easily have an inline volume control on your headphone or just listen straight out of the iMod. Sure, it may be that the volume is pretty loud, but there is no absolute need for an amp.

Unless this iMod has some out of the ordinary line-out of course...

Quote:

NOTES: The Red Wine Audio iMod converts the 1/8" headphone jack to a dedicated line-out jack, so the headphone output is disabled. It is intended to be connected to either a high quality headphone amp w/ volume control or home stereo system, NOT directly to headphones. The stock line-out from the dock connector is also disabled.

Well, this states that it is possible. Although not recommend, it's still possible. I never had a single problem listening through a line-out solely with headphones.

Sep 16, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #33 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
No, you don't need an amp. An amp is just a volume controller, you could easily have an inline volume control on your headphone or just listen straight out of the iMod. Sure, it may be that the volume is pretty loud, but there is no absolute need for an amp.

Well, this states that it is possible. Although not recommend, it's still possible. I never had a single problem listening through a line-out solely with headphones.

what floats your boat !

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #34 of 337
Quote:

since skylab thinks the mod will improve the ipod to compete with thousand dollar CD players, i think that is big enough critisism to tell anyone the imod is great. Skylab also feels it is the best $200 he has spent on audio in avery very long time, and i know skylab is certainly unbiased, so saying this and the praise he has given has helped me with my decision.

In fact, I just notified Vinne that i will be sending another iPod to him to have the iMod done. I want to have one permanently located in my stereo, in addition to the one I use beside my bed and on trips, etc. It's really amazing how good an iMod iPod sounds. My Sony-ES SACD/CD player gets so little use these days I am thinking about selling it!

Sep 16, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #35 of 337
Vinnie got mine on Tuesday. Hopefully I get it by the end of next week. Based on what skylab has said about the quality, I really hope to use this thing as a benchmark against my other equipment (that some say is great and others say is just ok or needs tweaks). "Best $200 ever spent," is pretty compelling language.

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #36 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
"Best $200 ever spent," is pretty compelling language.

I use my ipod constantly. And I was never happy with it's sound from the line out, until the iMod. Ever since the iMod, I have been completely happy with it.

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #38 of 337
JayJayz said:
yep, i didnt read over your response properly, lol.

so i think this is going to set me back about 1000 bucks !! and i havent even been at head-fi that long !!!

It did me too! But the best $1000 (+!) I have spent on getting really good music that you can take with you anywhere.

The fact that Skylab is going for #2 is a pretty good testament to Vinnie's incredible talent. I also think we need to remember that the Wolfson DAC in the 4th Gen. iPod is a quality DAC, as Vinnie attests. The Wolfson DAC is something that I think many of us know about, but don't mention often.

You'll never regret the investment JayJayz!

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #39 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder

i just spoke to Vinnie about this. the line out is meant to drive amps that might have an impedance of ~10,000 ohm or so, and your headphones might be 30-300 ohms. he was very clear that it is only intended to drive an amp and not phones!

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #40 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek
i just spoke to Vinnie about this. the line out is meant to drive amps that might have an impedance of ~10,000 ohm or so, and your headphones might be 30-300 ohms. he was very clear that it is only intended to drive an amp and not phones!

Well, that says it then, it's not your regular type of line-out.

Sep 20, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #41 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJayz
what do you imod owners think, was it a drastic improvement, worth $199 !?

would that extra money be better spent buying a 5th gen ipod with an ALO lineout dock ?

the 5g + the cotton dock seems to be a very nice combination !

iMod plus a high-end interconnect would probably sound better, if not much more expensive. You could probably get one of the Crystal Cable interconnects for ultimate fidelity.

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #42 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek

what about connections to a cassette adaptor or one of Logjam's CD Changer adaptors?

I use my Creative Jukebox's line-out jack to connect to my cassette adaptor and it sounds fine.

Sep 21, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #43 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu
what about connections to a cassette adaptor or one of Logjam's CD Changer adaptors?

I use my Creative Jukebox's line-out jack to connect to my cassette adaptor and it sounds fine.

My iMod iPod overdrove my cassette adapter and caused massive distortion. Would probably need some kind of pad in order to make that work.

But the iPod's own line out also clips my cassette adapter. Have to turn the volume under 2/3 even with the headphone jack.

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #45 of 337
I really should ask Vinnie himself, but I can't understand why he won't modify newer Gen Ipods to get a clean line out for use with a portable amp?? I understand there is a better chip in the 4G, but I would sacrifice a little SQ for a brand new DAP with better features. Lastly, why can't he do this mod with other DAPs??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back