Is the hifiman re-400 good upgrade for me?
Apr 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 35
Had an re-400 and sold it.  I think getting bent out of shape about iems is over-rated.  The re-400 is a lot of money for not that much satisfaction.  I also have Future Sonics Atrios m5 w/ mg7, it is clear with a bass dominance that is imparted in the design end of story.  Probably would not buy it again, but would keep it over the re-400.  

I found most small digital players have something in the signal chain that ruins the sound for headphones and especially iems.  I don't know if the digital reproduction is too perfect or the power amplifier is compromised in quality, too small, or overlooked in design for smaller players.  Smaller players is where iems are probably used the most.  So, I decided to stick with economical models that either have decent reviews for the price or you can grab them at w*l-mt or b*stby, with this selection method I have had the best luck.  

Iems that you probably will not regret buying;
Philips she3590
Sony MDR-ex37b
SoundMAGIC e30 (this model is worn over-ear (cord goes over the top of the ear))

After trying better models, I really would not justify paying more because you really don't get any MORE and I will not be swayed from this any time soon.  These go in your ear and really can't BLOW you away like a regular speaker which has some actual physical pressure to your body at louder volumes.  You really can't get that sound listening experience with these because you just get ear damage with excessive volume.  So it is like listening to a metal band at a watered down volume that is slightly clearer, some eq flavor (bassy middy trebly balanced or any combo), or maybe separated a bit more or larger soundstage as the price gets bigger and bigger, but no really WOW at substantial highly priced models.

I personally think a lot of the raving on here is done by people manufacturing or selling particular iems.  That is why it is a real let down with popular or excessive priced models that don't live up to real world expectations.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 35
  Had an re-400 and sold it.  I think getting bent out of shape about iems is over-rated.  The re-400 is a lot of money for not that much satisfaction.  I also have Future Sonics Atrios m5 w/ mg7, it is clear with a bass dominance that is imparted in the design end of story.  Probably would not buy it again, but would keep it over the re-400.  

I found most small digital players have something in the signal chain that ruins the sound for headphones and especially iems.  I don't know if the digital reproduction is too perfect or the power amplifier is compromised in quality, too small, or overlooked in design for smaller players.  Smaller players is where iems are probably used the most.  So, I decided to stick with economical models that either have decent reviews for the price or you can grab them at w*l-mt or b*stby, with this selection method I have had the best luck.  

Philips she3590
Sony MDR-ex37b
SoundMAGIC e30 (this model is worn over-ear (cord goes over the top of the ear))

After trying better models, I really would not justify paying more because you really don't get any MORE and I will not be swayed from this any time soon.  These go in your ear and really can't BLOW you away like a regular speaker which has some actual physical pressure to your body at louder volumes.  You really can't get that sound listening experience with these because you just get ear damage with excessive volume.  So it is like listening to a metal band at a watered down volume that is slightly clearer, some eq flavor (bassy middy trebly balanced or any combo), or maybe separated a bit more or larger soundstage as the price gets bigger and bigger, but no really WOW at substantial highly priced models.

I personally think a lot of the raving on here is done by people manufacturing or selling particular iems.  That is why it is a real let down with popular or excessive priced models that don't live up to real world expectations.

It really depends on what type of music you listen to and what your preferences are. The re 400s have a pretty steep sub bass roll off (seems to be mentioned in every review) but otherwise they're great. Sub bass is very important for stuff like rap and electronic music so I can see where you're coming from. Other genres like classical and jazz work great with the re400s. Some heavily bass boosted iems make instruments sound like flatulence too.

And about physical pressure
Iems have a seal and shoot sound directly into your ear canal. Iems usually have more pressure if anything (thats why its easier to get hearing damage)
You get hearing damage with ANYTHING that is loud.
And about the "no real wow"... You learn to appreciate good sound by making small steps in the form of upgrades. Going from stock apple earbuds to a sennheiser hd800 probably won't mean much because you don't know what to grade/notice.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #20 of 35

Philips she3590
Sony MDR-ex37b

If there isn't a 'wow' factor for IEMs, why do you think people still pay crazy amount of money for them? Especially CIEMs.

Just like zunehdrocks said, you're jumping to the conclusion too quickly.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 35

Philips she3590
Sony MDR-ex37b

i do not want a bass dominance, but yeah bass is good. i really wanted something which is actually an upgrade to my brainwavz m5. i have a philips she3590 which i gave to my sister and really, one doesnt have to be an audiophile to tell the difference between that and m5 or mh1c for that matter.. they arent bad.. but i firmly like m5 or mh1c over it!
the soundmagic e30-- my friend has it.. i havnt listened to it.. will do

about the ear damage, i agree with zunehd as anything in excess volume will damage your ears!

about the price-- ull be stunned if i tell you the price i got my previous iems- m5 for 25$ and the mh1c for 16$

also about speakers you said; the iems are just like the speakers since the better sounding speakers cost more, so do the better sounding iems. and when some better sounding iems are at a low price, one is really tempted to try them because otherwise as you said many persons like you and even like me would not spend too much for an iem which offers just a little more in terms of SQ. but the re-400 is another case- it competes with 200$ priced iems or even more as some reviews said. so what i thought is to try a supposedly higher-end iem for a price that is not cheap but boasts a high performance to price ratio. that way i have a chance to try atleast how much difference does it make to have my older iems and a new one.
so that is why i asked specifically in my comments that would the re-400 be really an upgrade to my prev iems and not just slight difference!

about the small players, i use my iems with my pc mostly connected to my logitech z506 speakers with an onboard but above average sound card- i watch movies, tv shows, listen music, and i'd like to think that there IS a difference between iems which not only a professional or an audiophile; even a casual listener like you and me can make out.
and seriously some songs when i listen on an iem, sound muffled or less enjoyable at my speakers.[though my speakers are not that good but still..]

It really depends on what type of music you listen to and what your preferences are. The re 400s have a pretty steep sub bass roll off (seems to be mentioned in every review) but otherwise they're great. Sub bass is very important for stuff like rap and electronic music so I can see where you're coming from. Other genres like classical and jazz work great with the re400s. Some heavily bass boosted iems make instruments sound like flatulence too.

And about physical pressure
Iems have a seal and shoot sound directly into your ear canal. Iems usually have more pressure if anything (thats why its easier to get hearing damage)
You get hearing damage with ANYTHING that is loud.
And about the "no real wow"... You learn to appreciate good sound by making small steps in the form of upgrades. Going from stock apple earbuds to a sennheiser hd800 probably won't mean much because you don't know what to grade/notice.

i absolutely agree that we learn in steps in the form of upgrades. i mean i had before 2-3 iems and i didnt knw anything about em, i have had soundmagic pl11, stock iems with sonyericsson x8 and i really thought that the stock iem were superb until i had pl11 which then i thought were brilliant...then i stepped up to m5.
since i watch movies and videos and shows on my pc with the iems too, thats why i wanted to have a good lows iem like the m5. as for music i listen to many kinds of music- rock, pop, bollywood, electric osts like that of audiotechnica, 2 steps from hell, chillstep, and sometimes rap and dubstep too but not much

i guess the only correct option for me is the new shure215spe but i guess its the double than re-400.. i really was quite sure of buying re-400 before starting this thread, now im quite reluctant!

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #23 of 35
@zunehdrocks
what if i used a 10-band eq on my realtek hd audio manager?? would it make any difference?.. whough i dont know how to use it well, but for m5 it sounds best without any eq preset.

It will make a difference in bass rumble but you will need a lot of eq to increase bass punch (to the point where you have to turn down the preamp so it doesnt clip or crackle). So yes it may work but there may be some excess mud when trying to increase bass impact

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #24 of 35
@zunehdrocks
what if i used a 10-band eq on my realtek hd audio manager?? would it make any difference?.. whough i dont know how to use it well, but for m5 it sounds best without any eq preset.

One thing you could also do is play white noise and use an equilizer to change the sound signature. It will take a few nights for it to set in and you will need to follow up on it from time to time. It may take a few tries to get the sound signature you are looking for but it may be worth a try.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #25 of 35
i do not want a bass dominance, but yeah bass is good. i really wanted something which is actually an upgrade to my brainwavz m5. i have a philips she3590 which i gave to my sister and really, one doesnt have to be an audiophile to tell the difference between that and m5 or mh1c for that matter.. they arent bad.. but i firmly like m5 or mh1c over it!

the soundmagic e30-- my friend has it.. i havnt listened to it.. will do

about the ear damage, i agree with zunehd as anything in excess volume will damage your ears!

about the price-- ull be stunned if i tell you the price i got my previous iems- m5 for 25$ and the mh1c for 16$

also about speakers you said; the iems are just like the speakers since the better sounding speakers cost more, so do the better sounding iems. and when some better sounding iems are at a low price, one is really tempted to try them because otherwise as you said many persons like you and even like me would not spend too much for an iem which offers just a little more in terms of SQ. but the re-400 is another case- it competes with 200$ priced iems or even more as some reviews said. so what i thought is to try a supposedly higher-end iem for a price that is not cheap but boasts a high performance to price ratio. that way i have a chance to try atleast how much difference does it make to have my older iems and a new one.

so that is why i asked specifically in my comments that would the re-400 be really an upgrade to my prev iems and not just slight difference!

about the small players, i use my iems with my pc mostly connected to my logitech z506 speakers with an onboard but above average sound card- i watch movies, tv shows, listen music, and i'd like to think that there IS a difference between iems which not only a professional or an audiophile; even a casual listener like you and me can make out.
and seriously some songs when i listen on an iem, sound muffled or less enjoyable at my speakers.[though my speakers are not that good but still..]

i absolutely agree that we learn in steps in the form of upgrades. i mean i had before 2-3 iems and i didnt knw anything about em, i have had soundmagic pl11, stock iems with sonyericsson x8 and i really thought that the stock iem were superb until i had pl11 which then i thought were brilliant...then i stepped up to m5.

since i watch movies and videos and shows on my pc with the iems too, thats why i wanted to have a good lows iem like the m5. as for music i listen to many kinds of music- rock, pop, bollywood, electric osts like that of audiotechnica, 2 steps from hell, chillstep, and sometimes rap and dubstep too but not much

i guess the only correct option for me is the new shure215spe but i guess its the double than re-400.. i really was quite sure of buying re-400 before starting this thread, now im quite reluctant!

Theres also the yamaha eph100
According to the reviews it has a medium sized bass boost and the triple flange tips get you loads of isolation.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-eph-100sl-inner-ear-headphone

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #26 of 35
man, i've been thoroughly searching for options.. and i saw this iem too.. but unfortunately its like 250-270$ for me.. i told you..indian market has made it really difficult to buy electronics at a fair price. whatever is available at 1x price in us or japan etc. its only available at 2x or more in india due to shipping or insurance costs or custom duties. theres a good site globaleasybuy by ebay which proides an all-inclusive price for the products. but it doesnt have that many products though the price tends to decrease a bit.
so the only way left is to have a friend in the us buy a product for me and then he can bring it to me whenever he visits india like for a holiday. but thats like too much wait!!

bottomline: one cant have a quality product unless one has atleast double the currency than its actual value in the international market. now i really feel quite lucky to have m5 and mh1c at such low prices.
 but thats maybe because much of the population here doesnt want to or doesnt know how to appreciate sound that well. many of my friends have so crappy audio gear may it be iem or headphones that they dont even produce sound! its just noise! lol. and the same goes for most electronics especially computers.. but on a brighter note, due to the internet and other sources, knowledge and awarenes is spreading and i hope it will impact the market in a positive way too.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #27 of 35
  man, i've been thoroughly searching for options.. and i saw this iem too.. but unfortunately its like 250-270$ for me.. i told you..indian market has made it really difficult to buy electronics at a fair price. whatever is available at 1x price in us or japan etc. its only available at 2x or more in india due to shipping or insurance costs or custom duties. theres a good site globaleasybuy by ebay which proides an all-inclusive price for the products. but it doesnt have that many products though the price tends to decrease a bit.
so the only way left is to have a friend in the us buy a product for me and then he can bring it to me whenever he visits india like for a holiday. but thats like too much wait!!

bottomline: one cant have a quality product unless one has atleast double the currency than its actual value in the international market. now i really feel quite lucky to have m5 and mh1c at such low prices.
 but thats maybe because much of the population here doesnt want to or doesnt know how to appreciate sound that well. many of my friends have so crappy audio gear may it be iem or headphones that they dont even produce sound! its just noise! lol. and the same goes for most electronics especially computers.. but on a brighter note, due to the internet and other sources, knowledge and awarenes is spreading and i hope it will impact the market in a positive way too.

Well i tried to go to the global easy buy thing and maybe this will work?
http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewItem&itemid=111324609548

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #28 of 35

Oh man, this applies to everybody in my high school...
Most people get beats and then throw them around their neck...
but its not like beats are any good anyways...

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #30 of 35
  it would be the same price as shure se215 older edition. shouldnt i buy that instead then??
and what about philips fidelio s1?. that is listed too at geb

Other threads say that the yamahas sound better overall and have a similar amount of bass. The fidelios are pretty balanced according to this review so you may not like it.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/philips-fidelio-s1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/667491/updated-shure-se215-etymotic-hf5-or-yamaha-eph-100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back