Is the Hifiman HE-6 clearly a league above the Hifiman HE-500?
Jun 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #391 of 433

Oh is that why HiFiman keeps bringing out the HE-5xx series and never a HE-6 successor, because they have a lot of potential?  Just kidding.  

However, the real work is getting the HE-6 to live up to it's potential.  Yeah I've had after market cables on all my Hifimans (Hardwired)  Still non of the HE-5?? could not pass the HE-6 in SQ - no where close.

hifiman is right now trying to cater to his biggest crowd. and that crowd is hifiman he-400 and he-500 buyers. they are the bread and butter of their market. I am anxiously waiting for that he-6 replacement. now that the he-560 are launching, I hope fang is gonna work on a flagship. be it stats or he-6 successor. my lightly modded he-6 is an incredible pair of cans. they are gonna be hard to top. if hifiman manage to do it I am gonna be darn impressed. he-6 is like a racing Ferrari. he-500 is tamer, more consumer friendly. he-6 is a beast. is hifiman gonna keep the he-6 legacy alive by making a successor that stays true to the he-6 or are they gonna tame it and make it like the he-560. he-6 crowd is the most unique crowd on headfi. no doubt about it. even more extreme than sr-009 crowd.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #392 of 433

hifiman is right now trying to cater to his biggest crowd. and that crowd is hifiman he-400 and he-500 buyers. they are the bread and butter of their market. I am anxiously waiting for that he-6 replacement. now that the he-560 are launching, I hope fang is gonna work on a flagship. be it stats or he-6 successor. my lightly modded he-6 is an incredible pair of cans. they are gonna be hard to top. if hifiman manage to do it I am gonna be darn impressed. he-6 is like a racing Ferrari. he-500 is tamer, more consumer friendly. he-6 is a beast. is hifiman gonna keep the he-6 legacy alive by making a successor that stays true to the he-6 or are they gonna tame it and make it like the he-560. he-6 crowd is the most unique crowd on headfi. no doubt about it. even more extreme than sr-009 crowd.

Man you speak the truth and nothing but the truth in this post.  I agree on all topics..

beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #393 of 433

Oh is that why HiFiman keeps bringing out the HE-5xx series and never a HE-6 successor, because they have a lot of potential?  Just kidding.  

However, the real work is getting the HE-6 to live up to it's potential.  Yeah I've had after market cables on all my Hifimans (Hardwired)  Still none of the HE-5?? could not pass the HE-6 in SQ - no where close.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #394 of 433
The difficulty would be to match or exceed HE6's finesse (its tactility, refined imaging, transients and dynamics) but at the same time cut down on its inefficiency and weight, and tweak the frequency response to be closer to ideal. That's a heck of a tall order. Hifiman has been and will continue to work on the upcoming 'stats for a while, so the HE6mk2 is probably still just a goal for them.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #395 of 433
Cutting down on it's "inefficiency" is not a big deal or deal breaker for current HE-6 owners - I assume.  Heck they even made an amp to drive them.  The rest is totally agreeable.  

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #396 of 433
I am waiting for the HE6 successor.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #399 of 433
I was going to wait for the HE6 successor but bought it anyways. My friend had SR009 and after modding the HE6 he sold all his Stax's system.

HE6 is quiete special, it's a collection item :)

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #402 of 433
Now the thread shoul be changed to 

"Is the Hifiman HE-6 clearly a league above the Hifiman HE-560?"

Ya it should be. :) I think I know the answer to that already :) (hint : will skip HE560.)

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #403 of 433
Does anyone know if Hifiman will make any more planars with gold traces in them? I ask this because it is obvious the reason for the low sensitivity is due to the golden diaphragm, but as mentioned previously, this isn't really a problem with the HE6 crowd since we are all used to driving the beast that is the HE6. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #404 of 433
I just recently acquired a pair of HE-6 and my initial impression are that they sound obnoxiously similar to the HE-500 in my setup.  I am listening to FLAC>ODAC>Emotiva mini-x speaker amp.  Both are straight from the speaker taps.  I'm going to setup a blind listening test between the two this coming weekend.  I'm not confident that I will be able to correctly identify the two headphones at this point.  I mean I love the HE-500s so I'm not disappointed.  I was just really expecting a more substantial difference, at least in voicing, from reading all these other reviews.  I'll let you guys know how my test goes.  Switching back and forth listening to the same songs right now (without volume matching) they just sound really similar! 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #405 of 433
  I just recently acquired a pair of HE-6 and my initial impression are that they sound obnoxiously similar to the HE-500 in my setup.  I am listening to FLAC>ODAC>Emotiva mini-x speaker amp.  Both are straight from the speaker taps.  I'm going to setup a blind listening test between the two this coming weekend.  I'm not confident that I will be able to correctly identify the two headphones at this point.  I mean I love the HE-500s so I'm not disappointed.  I was just really expecting a more substantial difference, at least in voicing, from reading all these other reviews.  I'll let you guys know how my test goes.  Switching back and forth listening to the same songs right now (without volume matching) they just sound really similar! 

Are you sure you're not using a powerful enough amp? The He-6's need a lot of power to reach their full potential. The mini-x might not that kind of power.

Just kidding, add that to the list of things not to say on this thread. The He-6's are great dynamic fun, just a bit too bright for my tastes. The moment you start seriously comparing headphones in the same family is the moment you stop enjoying music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back