Is the Headfive still worth it?
Jul 16, 2009 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Doodle07

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody, i'm a bit of a noob here, but i've read a lot of these forums over the past few weeks and finally worked up the nerve to start posting myself.

I'm looking to grab an amp/DAC combo, probably for a pair of Sennheisers (most likely one of HD555, HD595, HD600). A wile back i remember a lot of people were highly recommending the meier audio corda headfive. especially in the HD595 appreciation thread there are a few people who have testified that the headfive drives the 595s particularly well.

anyways, i was wondering if, a few years later, grabbing a used headfive was still worth it, or if i could get better sound quality out of some nice sennheisers with another, newer amp, such as something like the corda 3move or ibasso d10.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 5
yeah, i've read several great things about the d10, including an immensely detailed comparison of many usb amp/DAC combos by headphone addict. I think that i'm just going to shell out the extra cash for it.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 5
I own both the Corda HeadFive and the 2Move (which I understand from others' posts has essentially the same innards and SQ/sound signature as the 3Move).

The amps aren't really comparable as the HeadFive is a home amp and the 2Move is a portable.

The Corda HeadFive has a nice warm sound which has been compared very favorably to its higher priced siblings in Corda's home amp line.

The Move, 2Move and 3Move have been consistently highly rated in the portable amp ratings and I believe that they have been described as the best portable amps available at the below $300 price point.

I enjoy my 2Move for its portability but it doesn't have the sonic heft of the HeadFive. But then again, I don't expect it to, and it would be unfair to compare them on this basis as they are two very different amps as far as what they are designed to accomplish.

If you're looking at only these two amps, your decision is going to be guided by your need for portability vs. SQ and home use. Either of the two amps provide a very good bang for the buck in their respective categories.

Alan

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 5
This is in the portable section - do you mean the HeadFive or the HeadSix? The HeadFive is a desktop amp and the HeadSix is a portable.

I've owned both of them. They're both good, but I've found that portables don't do well with the headphones I prefer.

The HeadFive is a good amp, but it needs a source with a bit of output power. I found it lacking with just an iPod, but it does pretty well fed from an ordinary CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back