Is the HD-650 worth it?
Feb 23, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #31 of 39
Damn you guys
smily_headphones1.gif
My wallet is quivering with fright, the longer I read this site.

Feb 23, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by mulveling
Awesome, I really appreciate your thoughts on this. 650s it is, the V2 se upgrade will have to wait at least until a good deal shows up in the for sale forum
evil_smiley.gif

No problem, glad I could be of service!

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by riddley
After reading the carefully balanced arguments on both sides, I've decided to... get the 650s!

Unfortunately, getting the Zu or the Silver Dragon would push me way over $400. However, I am getting the Meier cable - from what I've read in other posts it's about halfway between the stock and the Zu in terms of sound improvement. And at 1/6th the cost of the Zu, that sounds like a good deal...

Congrats on your 650s! I'd get those myself if I had the money to spare. I also ordered the Oehlbach cable and should have it in a few days. I wonder if it will be as big an improvement for you with the 650s though, as the 650s stock cable seem thicker than 580s stock cable.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #37 of 39
riddley,
i don't know about sonically identical. but i do know for a fact that the two have different construction. the 650 cable is far thicker with better protection and insulation. if they're not sonically identical, then i would venture to say that they are extremely close in sound. someone once disected their 600 cable and found out that Sennheiser had used insanely cheap materials. so if the 650's cable is pretty close, i would imagine that it is not of very high quality (like the AT W1000 or CD3000 cable) at all
frown.gif

despite all this, even with the stock cable, there is little doubt that you will find the 650's unpleasurable. they are truely nothing short of amazing! they have everything you could ever want all packed into a masterpiece of a headphone. i personally love the looks of the new 650's and the older models (580/600) as well:600smile

as far as looking into buying an aftermarket cable, you can tally up another person for absolutely loving the Zu Mobius cable. they ad so much beauty to an already great sounding headphone making it dynamic yet delicate, warm yet detailed, crystal clear yet punchy. it seems impossible for a headphone to be both warm and forward sounding, but the 650's pull it off with the Zu cable upgrade. in the end, spending a hefty sum on an upgrade cable is far more worth it vs going other routes to improve the sound
biggrin.gif
plus, given your current setup, you should have no problem running the 650's, and at this point, once you receive them, i would say buying an upgrade cable would be the next step anyways. for reasons other than affordability, why wait to buy an upgrade cable if you know you'll probably buy it later on down the road?

either way in one weeks time, you'll be an insane music junky, locked in doors, pulling out and listening to every recording you own for the pure enjoyment and thrill that the Senn650's offer!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
riddley,
i don't know about sonically identical. but i do know for a fact that the two have different construction.

I wish I could remember where it was, but I'm sure I read in a post that someone from Sennheiser confirmed that there should be no audible difference between the cables.

Quote:

despite all this, even with the stock cable, there is little doubt that you will find the 650's unpleasurable.

I really hope you mean pleasureable
600smile.gif
) !

Your arguments for the Zu are convincing. However, I am getting the Meier upgrade cable - a couple of reviewers here have said it gives about half the improvement of the Zu, relative to the stock cable. The Meier cable is only $30 with the headphones... that's so cheap that it seems worth it even if I do upgrade to the Zu later.

The Zu is going on the list of upgrades. Up till I would have put it down the bottom of the list, but maybe it should be on the top considering these rave reviews.

Quote:

either way in one weeks time, you'll be an insane music junky, locked in doors, pulling out and listening to every recording you own for the pure enjoyment and thrill that the Senn650's offer!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I already am an insane music junky! That's why I thought I finally better get some good equipment. I love headphones - I don't have the patience (let alone the money) to build a really good speaker system and listening environment. Headphones are so much easier.

It's great getting all this positive feedback - now I just have to wait TWO WEEKS for them to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back