Is the Grado RS1 a decent phone for someone looking for a "mellower" Grado?
Jun 3, 2006 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rodbac

1000+ Head-Fier
[edit: oops- wrong forum
smily_headphones1.gif
]

I've been thinking of trying out the RS1s to see how I like them, but I don't like UBAR bright signatures.

What do you think?

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 4
The RS-1 is a fantastic can and currently my favorite
biggrin.gif
. Please be aware I am a Grado Fan Boy
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although this can is very mellow and refined by Grado standards it is still much more involving, detailed, and brighter than my AKG's or Senn's. I say this because you should try to listen to them before you purchase them (due to their high price).

Finally they like tube amps, so far my favorite is the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD, which sells for $600. Good luck.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 4
If by mellow you mean less strident highs and upper mids, then IMO no, the RS1 is not for you. You should look into the RS2 and HF1 in that case, and consider investing in some vwap pads or flat pads as well (or you could just reverse the stock bowls). Both of these headphones are darker in balance and will have more pounding bass than the RS1. However, the RS1's bass will be tighter and snappier if that's a factor for you. Don't underestimate the difference pads make - the RS2/HF1 with flat pads are flat out DARK (vwaps and reverse bowls strike more of a balance).

In case by mellow you mean a slightly larger soundstage presentation than other Grados, then yes, they might be for you. The RS series will have more resolution than the HF1, but the latter sure was a deal back when it sold for $200 new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back