Is the Grado RA-1 a CMOY?
Jun 2, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, that's pretty impressive.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you think its kind of overpriced? I was considering it very very seriously but now you are confusing me....

I picked up a used RA1 for $200 and the synergy with my RS1 headphones can't be beat.

They sound great together...One of the best purchases ever!

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a used RA1 for $200 and the synergy with my RS1 headphones can't be beat.

They sound great together...One of the best purchases ever!

Okay I'm pretty sure the synergy between an RS1 and an RA1 CAN be beat.. its a $20 amplifier after all, I'm sure there are better pairings out there, though obviously, for more money.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 44
I wonder who got this.

It looks pretty cool and sold for $50 less than a used RA1

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #21 of 44
I think someone got taken for a ride, at least if they were expecting a genuine 'Grado' product. That's not an RA-1 and I don't see 'Grado' written anywhere on it. That's not to say it's bad just unknown.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, if the RA-1 plays well with the HF-2, I might take the plunge and get one.

In case you don't know what the RA1 is. A block of wood and this... I'm serious, this is the amp, nothing else to it. But if you want to take the plunge, it's your decision and more power to you, good luck!

Grado_mod_5.JPG

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you don't know what the RA1 is. A block of wood and this... I'm serious, this is the amp, nothing else to it. But if you want to take the plunge, it's your decision and more power to you, good luck!

Grado_mod_5.JPG

I don't like posts like this...but I could swear I've said that recently. I see no need to attack a member's decision as if nobody in their right mind would make the same choice. But, again, I could swear this has come up before....hmmm...

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay I'm pretty sure the synergy between an RS1 and an RA1 CAN be beat.. its a $20 amplifier after all, I'm sure there are better pairings out there, though obviously, for more money.

Have you even heard them?

Bye the way, I've worked in electronics manufacturing for 12 years now (Manufacturing Engineer, Quality Engineer, Program Manager, Quality Director) and you would be surprised just how much electronics really cost to build.

They are a small percentage of the selling price...very small.

The only thing close to the RA1 amp with RS1 is a Mapletree amp. Now that one might cost $40 to build.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you even heard them?

Bye the way, I've worked in electronics manufacturing for 12 years now (Manufacturing Engineer, Quality Engineer, Program Manager, Quality Director) and you would be surprised just how much electronics really cost to build.

They are a small percentage of the selling price...very small.

Even then you don't need to be in the electronics industry to know the profit margins. e.g. Apple's profit margins on their products = well documented on the 'net. I not naive in the sense that most high-end headphones probably cost at max US$200 to build each. My DT880's = probably sub $90.
The Darkvoice 336 amp for example is about $50 in parts, but sells for $300+

Audio's hugely profitable. Anyone who disagrees = naive or ignorant. There is a reason why DIY amps and cables absolutely wins over commercial constructed stuff at every pricepoint + why some headphones are silly good value e.g. JVC RX700 @ $35 and Koss KSC-75, which can be had for as low of $5-6.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even then you don't need to be in the electronics industry to know the profit margins. e.g. Apple's profit margins on their products = well documented on the 'net. I not naive in the sense that most high-end headphones probably cost at max US$200 to build each. My DT880's = probably sub $90.
The Darkvoice 336 amp for example is about $50 in parts, but sells for $300+

Audio's hugely profitable. Anyone who disagrees = naive or ignorant. There is a reason why DIY amps and cables absolutely wins over commercial constructed stuff at every pricepoint + why some headphones are silly good value e.g. JVC RX700 @ $35 and Koss KSC-75, which can be had for as low of $5-6.

Companies have fixed costs (buildings, equipment, etc...) to pay for, and not to mention need a good return on their investments. So if you have the time and can DIY, you will always get the best bang for your buck.

Always remember:

Cost = what is cost to make an item.
Price = what you can get for it on the open market and has no relation to cost as long as this is higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back