Is the EarMax a better amp than WooAudio6
Dec 18, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 21
Woo is cheaper, looks better, have you seen their new site, yet; And they have matching headphone stands now too...

Although, there are probably some glaring big differences should you choose to live with each side by side dependant upon associated gear, I could easily imagine....

Perhaps one or the other may have tubes more readily avaiable pricewise and NOS offerings and perhaps the tube implementation may lenthen or shorten tube life. As is the case of short tube life in the Carey preamps (I believe) or other examples found out only after living with said amp, and if another comparison amp is present.

I read the earmax will drive the Grados superbly to their full potential whereas the W3 will not. However the W6 addresses this issue, however some have said the W6 doesn't sound as good as the W3 with their Senns (I believe).

I do like the looks of the Woos and their matching headphone stands though, and that may persuade you decision too
cool.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the reply.... much thanks!

I'm all for the Woo6 as I've said in a different thread. This will be my first tube amp so I am very new owning tube based equip., however I am not afraid of a soldering iron and most anything solid-state. FWIW I most certainly will get into tube rolling too.

I'd be waiting for my Woo in the mail if they'd just answer my ?'s and email. I even asked for a phone number... But I'm also impatient and so if my first tube amp isn't "top of the line perfect" because I could accomodate my schedule/anticipation a little faster...well so be it.

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo is cheaper, looks better, have you seen their new site, yet; And they have matching headphone stands now too...

Yes I've been on thier site for days now. Not much there in way of contact information. Yes, they do have head phone stands. Do you have a set of the head phone stands from Woo?

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply.... much thanks!

I'm all for the Woo6 as I've said in a different thread. This will be my first tube amp so I am very new owning tube based equip., however I am not afraid of a soldering iron and most anything solid-state. FWIW I most certainly will get into tube rolling too.

I'd be waiting for my Woo in the mail if they'd just answer my ?'s and email. I even asked for a phone number... But I'm also impatient and so if my first tube amp isn't "top of the line perfect" because I could accomodate my schedule/anticipation a little faster...well so be it.

I see, so you're impatient and want the perfect amp...And you want to know difinitively which of the two above is the objectively better amp other than the cost which is in favor of the Woo as a matter of fact.

And you just don't know...

Do you know there is a whole hella lot of subjectivity and personal preferance as to what we hear, and so decide what is best for each of us? As always dependant upon associated gear and music prefered as factual factors.

But not knowing any better and not having the paitence to do side by side comparisons I'd suggest you simply choose the cheaper amp and that may be your objective deciding factor.

I'm sure the Woo products sound very good and I did almost buy one myself but for a great many reasons did not. I'll add I am happy with my personal decision. As much as, I'm sure, you will pleased with your decision to buy the Woo6 if you so decide for you
cool.gif

Good luck~

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see, so you're impatient and want the perfect amp...And you want to know difinitively which of the two above is the objectively better amp other than the cost which is in favor of the Woo as a matter of fact.

And you just don't know...

Do you know there is a whole hella lot of subjectivity and personal preferance as to what we hear, and so decide what is best for each of us? As always dependant upon associated gear and music prefered as factual factors.

But not knowing any better and not having the paitence to do side by side comparisons I'd suggest you simply choose the cheaper amp and that may be your objective deciding factor.

I'm sure the Woo products sound very good and I did almost buy one myself but for a great many reasons did not. I'll add I am happy with my personal decision. As much as, I'm sure, you will pleased with your decision to buy the Woo6 if you so decide for you
cool.gif

Good luck~

Music genre and how that genre sounds and what equipment, speakers and headphones used to listen to it all is indeed very subjective. So much so that I just recently discovered that by almost tossing out my experience with the Senn HD 555 and 595 I might have missed my new opportunity to try the HD600 - which I'm glad I kept subjectivity in my mind.

I'm not impatiently looking for the perfect amp. I'm asking what the difference is between the EarMax and WooProducts. I have a week off (work wise) over the holidays and I would love to be able to try a tube amp. I'd like to order one today. There - impatience explained.

Please don't think I'm asking for an answer to a questions that can't possibly be explained when I ask "which is best".

I just wanted to hear what everyone thought of the woo and earmax.

Ken from ALO called me and told me all I wanted to know about the EarMax - what a nice guy btw. Now, if WooAudio would just give me a jingle or email reply...

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Yes I've been on thier site for days now. Not much there in way of contact information. Yes, they do have head phone stands. Do you have a set of the head phone stands from Woo?

You get your money's worth with Woo products. I have always been impressed with there quality, looks and performance. The 6 looks like it would be an enjoyable listen.

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

I just wish Woo would contact me. 3 days of email and then one more asking for a phone# to call. Oh well I guess.

Just so you know...

Woo told me that he is very careful to manage their workloads and communications to minimize interference with production. As you've seen, a lot of other mfrs don't do a very good job of that - which results in all sorts of unmet expectations, and lots of unproductive time spent with "tire kickers" (not that you're a "tire kicker").

So... they don't typically offer phone communications, and only respond to emails at the same time at the end of the day. If they have a big workload / backlog, sometimes it may be a couple of days before they respond.

They should be applauded for their excellent organization and discipline - which helps to avoid unmet expectations. And the quality of their amps attest to that.

But... they could do a better job of explaining all of that on their web site.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 21
Don't think this is really a contest.

The EarMax Pro and Anniversary are good amps but not 'wire with gain' amps if that makes sense. They seek to be tubey and they deliver.

The Woo isn't SS obviously but still seeks to be a more honest amp. If it was my money, Woo 6, no question.

The EarMax Pro and Anniversary can drive low impedance, the regular cannot. Well from a audiophile point of view. I'm sure it does deliver 'sound' in a literal sense
tongue.gif

To add to the Woo love, I don't think anyone has ever had a poor experience with them on Head-Fi. But like a lot of common Head-Fi amp makers... product quality comes before communication. When you get 'your' amp you'll appreciate that
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 21
Having built amps and enjoying quality I can say that after modifying the Woo3, it is a solidly put together amp that is over built. I love the case because it is thick aluminum not something to just get by. I modified because i enjoy tinkering around not because it really needed it. I would like to purchase a Woo 6 and an Extreme amp. These are two amps I would buy without reservation.

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

I'm, asking this question based on the price difference. Is the EarMax more $$$ because it's smaller? Does the EarMax have better components? Better tubes?

Price doesn't always reflect quality of sound - the idea or popular image is as important as the actual value.

People buy a dream as much as they buy a product.

Higher price automatically means higher quality with many people.

One born every second.

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't think this is really a contest.
The EarMax Pro and Anniversary can drive low impedance, the regular cannot. Well from a audiophile point of view. I'm sure it does deliver 'sound' in a literal sense
tongue.gif

I find that Earmax Pro is great for headphones, but doesn't sound good with IEM. it is got a very poor constriced soundstage. and fat sound, less open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back