Is the deal on this Audi A4 too good to be true? (Ebay)
Jul 3, 2005 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jefemeister

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been thinking of getting a new car lately and I've come across this 2004 Audi A4 1.8T on Ebay. It's got 10k miles and the Buy It Now is $20,000. It's a Salvage title but the ad claims "Minor damage to front Bumper. It has been replaced and repainted." I sent him some questions about it just a minute ago. Anyone know why the title would be salvage (probably the reason it's so cheap) if the damage were indeed minor. Anything seem fishy here? It's important to note that the seller is only like 2-3 towns over from me. I mean there's a 2003 with 43k miles going for $23,000.

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 21
if it's close enough i would ask him if you could stop over for a peek at it first...if he hesitates...hmmm, i'd think twice...see if you can have your mechanic look at it first as well...

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 21
This is a scam. The price is far too high for a vehicle with a salvage title, and the seller isn't being entirely forthright. No vehicle is "in like new condition" if it has a salvage title, and it wouldn't have gotten that title from minor bumper damage. It's also possible that the vehicle was reported stolen (several states use salvage titles to identify stolen vehicles). Because it has a salvage title, you won't be able to get it titled again in most states until you get it rebuilt, which will cost you more than it's selling for. Without a clean title, you can't drive it on the road.

Jul 3, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 21
I suggest getting a Carfax report. It costs $20, but if it saves you from buying a piece of junk it is worth it.

Jul 3, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 21
I agree with the others--this DOES sound fishy. Can you head over and check it out yourself?

Anyhow, what you really want is a BMW 330i or even an M3
icon10.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 21
Salvage title. That only happens nowadays pretty much with irreparable frame damage; cars are simply too expensive for insurers to scrap wantonly anymore. Especially for a 1-year old car with only 10K mileage to depreciate against.

Keep very well clear of this.

And hey, a brand new Jetta with the same engine, but no AWD, isn't much more than that Audi with 10K, questionable background and no warranty.

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 21
Just a thought. With the carfax report, I know a lot of people on http://www.bimmerforums.com post requests for carfaxes, and people get them for free, posted in the forums. I haven't been to the audi forums yet (was scorned with an old school audi, gonna try an old school bimmer next, hoping my german made caddi doesn't crap out on me), but anyways, check out the audi forums, try to get a free carfax. And then buy a 95 BMW M3, and supercharge or turbo it. Still come out cheaper, and, well, I just want a bimmer, dammit. And get an S4 if you're going to get an audi... or a TT (if BHD's reading...<g>)

**BRENT**

P.S. I'm going to bed now

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Salvage title. That only happens nowadays pretty much with irreparable frame damage; cars are simply too expensive for insurers to scrap wantonly anymore. Especially for a 1-year old car with only 10K mileage to depreciate against.

Keep very well clear of this.

And hey, a brand new Jetta with the same engine, but no AWD, isn't much more than that Audi with 10K, questionable background and no warranty.

I just saw a 2006 Jetta at Midwestern Auto Group today...They look pretty good. A lot like the A4: At 24k you got climate control, leather, 2.5L engine, and all those other std. features. At the 20k area why not get a 2002 A6? There might be some with low miles (30k-40k mi.).

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 21
Well, here's part of the reply I got back:

"The reason the insurance co. let it go was because 1 of the 6 air bags deployed. The damage was just the front bumper, no frame bending or stress.
It has been inspected and passed with flying colors. "

Seems like a nice guy through his message, gave my his phone #, and invited me to check it out. I think I'll take all your advice though and just let it go. No one else has bid at that crazy low price either, so I think I'll just walk away.

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
I just saw a 2006 Jetta at Midwestern Auto Group today...They look pretty good. A lot like the A4: At 24k you got climate control, leather, 2.5L engine, and all those other std. features. At the 20k area why not get a 2002 A6? There might be some with low miles (30k-40k mi.).

Because I do 42,000 a year - my (purchased new) 2002 Jetta 1.8T now has 111,000 miles on it and it is only that low because I did 10,000 last year and (so far only) 2,000 this year on my motorcycle instead. I wear out cars, so buying a used one is too much a risk; they just won't last long enough.

The only reason I have (only) 2K this year on the motorcycle so far is that I was too sick for 6.5 weeks to ride it.

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Well, here's part of the reply I got back:

"The reason the insurance co. let it go was because 1 of the 6 air bags deployed. The damage was just the front bumper, no frame bending or stress.
It has been inspected and passed with flying colors. "

Seems like a nice guy through his message, gave my his phone #, and invited me to check it out. I think I'll take all your advice though and just let it go. No one else has bid at that crazy low price either, so I think I'll just walk away.

Exactly. You don't scrap a $30,000 car over 1 airbag and a dented fender. If it "has been inspected and passed with flying colors" by the insurance company, the company would not have scrapped it into salvage title in the first place.

"Thanks, but No Thanks"

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Because I do 42,000 a year - my (purchased new) 2002 Jetta 1.8T now has 111,000 miles on it and it is only that low because I did 10,000 last year and (so far only) 2,000 this year on my motorcycle instead.

Wow...We only have 120k miles on our two cars from '98 and '01 combined!

How is the Jetta going for you? Our '98 Passat is just...horrible. Our '88 Ford Tempo had less problems. Now, my dad is going to buy the '06 Passat!
eek.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
How is the Jetta going for you? Our '98 Passat is just...horrible. Our '88 Ford Tempo had less problems. Now, my dad is going to buy the '06 Passat!
eek.gif

Absolutely fantastic. This is the most reliable, least repaired car I've ever owned. Before 50,000 I had 2 of the usual generation VW problems - 2 coilpacks failed and 1 window. The first coilpack was replaced under warranty, when the second failed they replaced all four under recall and that was the complete, total end of it. When the window failed they replaced both front lift systems - end.

That's it. Nothing else has ever gone wrong.

My first out of pocket "repair" expense was at 100,000 miles when I had the timing belt, water pump and suspension replaced all based on maintainence. Otherwise except for scheduled maintainence I have not had a dime taken out of my pocket for any type of repairs whatsoever during the 111,000 miles. Oil, tires and tuneups only (I am still on the original, OEM brake pads
tongue.gif
Eat your hearts out guys!)

And at 111,000 it's almost as tight bodywise as when I first bought it. My boss was so impressed when I drove him home one day he was looking to get a used Jetta for a commuter car. He has a Trailblazer and at 78,000 he says it rattles so much he can't stand driving it every day to work, while my car at 111,000 is tight as a drum.

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 21
Snake: Well, from your above post, I might actually reconsider Volkswagen as 'decent'. Maybe we (as in my family) have really bad luck with VW
confused.gif

Our Passat's transsmission and shifter had to be replaced a few years back, many CVT (I think) joint issues possibly frame issues. starter issues - won't always start, sometimes the car just stops, bad build quality...some more problems I don't 'member ATM. Our Eurovan's build quility could also be better. I've had the 2nd row seats detach on me several times, but not many real issues.

There's a $66k W12 Phaeton that I real want a test drive in...mmm...12...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back