Is the deal on this Audi A4 too good to be true? (Ebay)
Jul 3, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
There's a $66k W12 Phaeton that I real want a test drive in...mmm...12...

I would have happily settled for the W8 Passat - seemed like a very nice car and well priced for what you got. $80K for a Phaeton seems a bit...unrealistic.

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
I would have happily settled for the W8 Passat - seemed like a very nice car and well priced for what you got. $80K for a Phaeton seems a bit...unrealistic.

Yeah, the W8 was nice. My dad test drove that (I was sitting beside him as I can't drive yet) and the car was smooth with a lot less body roll than our Passat. It was really comfortable, very similar to the A6. Too bad VW took the W8 off...

The W8 Phaeton I think is supposed to take the W8 Passats place. Its about 10k more though.

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Snake: Well, from your above post, I might actually reconsider Volkswagen as 'decent'. Maybe we (as in my family) have really bad luck with VW
confused.gif

Our Passat's transsmission and shifter had to be replaced a few years back, many CVT (I think) joint issues possibly frame issues. starter issues - won't always start, sometimes the car just stops, bad build quality...some more problems I don't 'member ATM. Our Eurovan's build quility could also be better. I've had the 2nd row seats detach on me several times, but not many real issues.

Well FWIW it seems VW before 2001 did have a lot of issues. I'd wait at least a year to see what happens with the new Jetta. VW assembles A-chassis cars for America in Mexico and many a person has suggested that the lines have quality control problems when first brought up. That, and VW using European electrical components from subcontractors that failed. By 2002 they had figured out what caused the coilpacks to fail - assembly gaps between the housing and the lower connectors - and the window regulators due to nylon inserts. The reports of MAFs failing seems to be due to "modders" who put on those CAIs that expose the MAF directly to road conditions ("but a CAI is so cool!
rolleyes.gif
) along with other mods.

I do remember that during the 100,000 service I did have a single O2 sensor replaced - but my extended warranty covered it. Forgot about that, but only 1 02 in 100,000 miles.

But I do treat my cars well - even if I generally have a foot made of lead (in terms of top cruising speed only - I don't do jackrabbit starts).

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Yeah, the W8 was nice. My dad test drove that (I was sitting beside him as I can't drive yet) and the car was smooth with a lot less body roll than our Passat. It was really comfortable, very similar to the A6. Too bad VW took the W8 off...

The W8 Phaeton I think is supposed to take the W8 Passats place. Its about 10k more though.

Nah, more than that. I saw a W8 on the floor for $40K with every option. A fully optioned out Phaeton is almost $80K when I looked at one in the showrooms.

Ouch?
eek.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 21
I can only hope my dad waits another year. The new Passat is coming in August and my dad is already asking the dealership about it.

So now its either the '07 Passat (when things will be fixed hopefully) or the '06 A6.

EDIT: Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Nah, more than that. I saw a W8 on the floor for $40K with every option. A fully optioned out Phaeton is almost $80K when I looked at one in the showrooms.

Ouch?
eek.gif

My local VW dealership is marking the Phaeton down like crazy! 15k off! Although that might have been an '04 model left.

Jul 4, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
I can only hope my dad waits another year. The new Passat is coming in August and my dad is already asking the dealership about it.

So now its either the '07 Passat (when things will be fixed hopefully) or the '06 A6.

Never buy a American or European car in it's first year (or two).

If I'm gonna be a guinea pig I'd at least like the lube...
tongue.gif

Quote:

EDIT:

My local VW dealership is marking the Phaeton down like crazy! 15k off! Although that might have been an '04 model left.

...makes you wonder just how much profit they make when can afford to mark it down $15K!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back