Is the DE905 really THAT good?
May 13, 2003 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

oas

Head-Fier
For being one of the 'newer' models, is it really hold up against some of the great PCDP's?

And does anyone have any pics? I cant find any.
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 20
The E905 is by no means the best PCDP ever made... but it is certainly among the better ones
biggrin.gif

As to pictures... imagine the D777 in a pearlescent (I think thats the term) blue... and you've got a fair idea
wink.gif

If you can't envisage it... email me with the button below, and i'll email you back a picture

Thanks

Duncan

May 13, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 20
yup. it's that good. check out duncan's review.

plus, to my ears, the headphone out is quite excellent and can easily bring out the clarity and crispiness of very analytical classical passages and soundtrack suites. with a good amp, you'll be surprised how this portable's line-out can rival some home decks
eek.gif
. of course, this unit is not as sweet as the older and heavier pcdp giants but for a portable with excellent "shock" capability, it makes this unit a rarer gem among pcdp hunters.

and aesthetically...
DSC00686.jpg

this unit's wet-like dark blue marble appearance makes people (yup, even d777 owners) breathless.
people who has seen this can testify. even that picture doesn't give it justice.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 20
I don't know the exact prices, but if anyone happened to stumble on a new in box DE905, I can imagine someone here, who isn't already broke, shelling out over $300-$350 for one.

The D777 line-out sounds excellent, better than any recent PCDP I've heard. The soundstage is much wider and cleaner than the headphone out, which is already pretty smooth and dark. It really is a nice sounding, true portable. Older units may sound better, but they aren't as compact and light, and they don't have skip protection.

May 13, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
where do i find a de905? i'm looking on sony's site and it says it doesn't exist.

They're hard to get hold of... I got mine as NOS in London a year ago, and I also got one for a fellow head-fier a couple of months ago... but that source has dried up...

..Next stop.. Ebay
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 20
EBay's pretty bleak too hardly any comes and goes... anything that comes up on the FS forums also go for alot...
frown.gif

May 13, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 20
I don't believe so no...

The control logic is different... even to the point that the N707 remote doesn't function correctly on the MZ-R55...

Worth a try though?

May 13, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 20
Ill be sure to try it if i get mine.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Duncan, i know you have both the 905 and dej1000, how much thicker is the 905?

May 13, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 20
to my untrained eye, and without any measuring tools here... the EJ1000 looks to me to be no more than 3mm thinner than the E905
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 20
Guys,

The performance of D-E905/900 can't be underestimated here. It is one heck of a discman. It rivals my Sony NS-500V. I really love it. The line out is very detail, and soundstage is amazing. The sense air in music is impressive.

I can be pretty happy with my D-E905 and CD3000 combo anytime. You don't need an amp for those two to sing together. I would rate this player very high, even higher than D-777 interm of headphone out and line out. D-E905 sounds excellent with my ATH-A100ti as well. Very airy.

Purk

May 14, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 20
Tina,
That is a lovely earbuds. How's the performance comparing to the E888, or higher end earbuds? Love the look of the D-E905. The most beautiful player in my opinion. Very classy and very elegance. The blue marble finished is a jaw-dropper.

Purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back