Is the Cowon S9 for me?
Sep 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ackers07

Head-Fier
I've been doing endless research on lots of DAPs and I've drawn the line at Cowon S9, Sony Walkman X, Samsung P3, iPod Touch, and Creative Zen X-Fi.

I'm looking for a player with at least 16gb to upgrade from my 8gb Clip. The audio aspect is important to me more than anything else so I'd like a player which has a comfortable UI for selecting music. Basically, a solid MUSIC player. The capacity and UI are more important to me than video playback, wi-fi, and gimmick features. The iriver Clix2 would have been perfect for me had iriver not been stupid enough to stop it at 8gb. I think it's time they reintroduced that player.

I recently converted my music collection to ogg and don't fancy going back to mp3 in favour of the Sony X. Also, doesn't seem to do voice recording which I need for my song writing. The interface however, looked it's strongest point... looked really intuitive for music playback and would have been perfect for me. I liked how it scrolls through your collection and the way it displays album-art in the 'now playing' screen. Album-art is a BIG plus to me.

Then there's Cowon S9 which does all what I want it to really but I keep hearing that it's UI is awkward and unintuitive. Honestly, I'd take an intuitive interface over its acclaimed video playback anyday but it seems you can't have it all. However, I heard you can customize its interface yourself? Does that Claw UI make navigation better, or closer to the Walkman X? Would it be possible to customize the UI to act like the Walkman X? If so then big plus.

As for the P3, iPod Touch, and Zen X-Fi I'm not sure... my must have features are good UI (ease of use), voice recording, good SQ, custom EQ, OGG support, at least 16gb and not so importantly - drag & drop like Clip (don't like MTP), usb charging (propeitary sucks but I can live with it), good battery life (15hrs plus would be enough), also microSD support would be great for if I go over the 16gb limit.

Can someone please help me! Thanks for reading. Oh, also I'll very likely be pairing it with Sennheiser IE8's if that helps... I want a good sound experience but with-in my limitations.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ackers07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the P3, iPod Touch, and Zen X-Fi I'm not sure... my must have features are good UI (ease of use), voice recording, good SQ, custom EQ, OGG support, at least 16gb and not so importantly - drag & drop like Clip (don't like MTP), usb charging (propeitary sucks but I can live with it), good battery life (15hrs plus would be enough), also microSD support would be great for if I go over the 16gb limit.

good UI, easy to use, voice recording, good sq, custom EQ, drag n drop...
then go to Samsung P3 or wait Samsung M1 for support microSD

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 30
The P3 is able to Bluetooth link with your cell phone and take your calls through the PMP. Other than that, it has a slightly smaller touchscreen (3" compared to the S9's 3.3"). The P3 also has a customizable UI and there are a few UIs posted over at the ABI forums. The only downside is there still isn't a 32 GB model for the P3 yet. Price wise, the Cowon's 16 GB version is slightly cheaper and easier to find than the 16 GB P3.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 30
I think I'm gonna go for the S9. Reasons: gapless playback (noice!), better SQ and EQ options, better battery life, great firmware updates, has fw/rw tactile buttons (unlike P3 as far as I'm aware). Bluetooth on the P3 I wouldn't even use anyway, apparently it's UI is sluggish. The only advantage I think the P3 has is haptic feedback... I think it's S9 for me!
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 30
The S9 also has Bluetooth, just you're limited to stereo BT headphones and can't link it with any other devices.

One other thing I forgot to mention was that the P3's UI's response time is about the same as the S9's. The P3 is also housed in a aluminum case unlike the plastic one the S9's housed in.

Either way, you'll be happy with your purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif
I do recommend getting a screen protector and a case for it if you're going to be lugging it with you everywhere.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 30
you have so many requirements, I think no factory will design a player just for yourself. So you have to compromise something.-----My opinion is GUI, it is not so important for after you use to it, every player is easy to use.

Infact, my humble opinion is you should have to choice: sound quality wise and function wise.

by this standard, you can easy pick your favorit DAP.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 30
I'd recommend DNW's Aero Ultimate G1 UI instead of Claw's. It may not be as customizable, but at least it's not overly complicated to setup. Claw's isn't something for the first-time user and takes quite a bit of reading and tinkering to get down.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're getting the S9 then you should definitely check out Claw's UI over at ABI forums ( Wallpaper (Claw) UI v3 -- [x.10 FW] - Cowon S9 UCI (Skins/Themes) - abi>>forums ).

This is the ultimate UCI, I highly recommend it as well. It's changed the way the S9 is used, and adds quite a few features, including on the go playlisting.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ackers07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that Claw UI make navigation better, or closer to the Walkman X? Would it be possible to customize the UI to act like the Walkman X? If so then big plus.

Claw UI is very powerful with a lot of customizable settings. It's one of the more popular UCIs, but there are many more worth checking out. I haven't seen one that replicates the X's UI, though I've seen ones that look like the iPod touch and Zune.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 30
Yes S9 all the way. P3 sounded decidedly average to me, as is the battery life. S9 sounds superb with gapless mp3 playback, battery fantastic but the stock UI is as ugly as sin. X2 on Acrea's nod to dnw's Aero Ultimate UI. Makes the thing a joy to use plus the young guy sticks out more updates than is humanly possible. I'm sure Claw's Wallpaper UI is amazingly configurable, I just don't have the time to get involved with it.

One more thing - If you're thinking about importing from America to save a few £s, I would reccomend against it; you're likely to get taxed, slapped with a handling charge and end up saving nothing. Plus all the hassle of sending it back under warranty should there be a problem.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 30
Big AMOLED screen FTW.

No SD slot FTL...gonna order 32GBer tonight or tomorrow.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more thing - If you're thinking about importing from America to save a few £s, I would reccomend against it; you're likely to get taxed, slapped with a handling charge and end up saving nothing. Plus all the hassle of sending it back under warranty should there be a problem.

Not to mention if it gets held at customs, you'll have to wait another week or two before getting your S9. Just buy locally if you can. The frustration saved is well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back