Is the Compass a good desktop choice?
Aug 3, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 36
Yeah, if you're not using the headphone amp, the Compass wouldn't be that great of an option for you. You're better off sticking to something like the Music Hall 25.2 Dac. You can get more info about it here: .:: music hall audio :: dac 25.2

The Music Hall also has a headphone output, but I heard it was crap, so this might be the way to go. Then again.. it runs about $500.. lol

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekoshyun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually looking into doing a very, very similar setup. Exactly the same as you're describing, to be exact. I'll be running bit-accurate playback via an optical/toslink 3.5mm adapter to the Compass and using that to power a set of AudioEngine A2's and D2000's.

Should be the most budget friendly purchase for the time being until I get enough cash to throw down on a dedicated amp for my other speakers, the Usher S-520's.

ekoshyun,
What did you decide to do?
If you went with the Compass, are you using the preamp to control the volume?
And if so, how does that affect sound compared to not having the preamp in the circuit?

I'd be interested in how others are controlling the volume on their powered speakers.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 36
I'm also curious about powered speakers.. can I use the compass in super w/ the powered speakers and retain the volume knob function? Or will I need to buy a preamp w/ volume control?

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also curious about powered speakers.. can I use the compass in super w/ the powered speakers and retain the volume knob function? Or will I need to buy a preamp w/ volume control?

Neither. Active speakers do not need a preamp. Which is what the compass is. you would need a passive volume control with a DAC, as an above poster has already stated.

For further clarification:
The compass is an all-in-one unit. Headamp, preamp, DAC. You can use the DAC and amp sections independently of each other. Refer to Currawong's FAQ.

EDIT: You CAN use a pre-amp in front of active/powered speakers. But this will cause problems, as you are essentially double amping.
Common symptoms include hissing/buzzing/distortion and an unhappy listener.

EDIT 2: I have a Compass paired up with my AD900s, and I am loving it. I don't use speakers. If you don't plan on using the head-amp section of the Compass at all, it is really not worth your money. You'd be better off going with a dedicated DAC (such as something by KECES) and a passive volume control, if you wish to change the volume on your active speakers from further away.

That being said, if you have PASSIVE speakers, the preamp section will do you good.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #20 of 36
You CAN use a pre-amp in front of active/powered speakers. But this will cause problems said:
Has anyone experienced this first-hand with the Compass or similar equipment?

I ask because, while it certainly makes sense, at least one other manufacturer told me that the audible effect on speakers may not be noticeable. Here is a quote from that opinion:

"It may be a bit noisier than using a true line output, but with speakers you probably can't tell the difference. Speakers don't have as much detail as headphones so this small loss in sound quality will be unnoticeable."

I suspect there are many of us who would welcome hearing from any of you who have first-hand experience listening to powered speakers through the preamp and volume control of the Compass.

Does the preamp/volume control audibly degrade the sound of the powered speaker or not?

Thanks.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone experienced this first-hand with the Compass or similar equipment?

I ask because, while it certainly makes sense, at least one other manufacturer told me that the audible effect on speakers may not be noticeable. Here is a quote from that opinion:

"It may be a bit noisier than using a true line output, but with speakers you probably can't tell the difference. Speakers don't have as much detail as headphones so this small loss in sound quality will be unnoticeable."

I suspect there are many of us who would welcome hearing from any of you who have first-hand experience listening to powered speakers through the preamp and volume control of the Compass.

Does the preamp/volume control audibly degrade the sound of the powered speaker or not?

Thanks.

No one's tried this?

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one's tried this?

As I said in my earlier post, I tried this and it sounded dreadful to my ears. Clarity suffered the most...I could actually hear some distortion. It was bad enough that I switched to my onboard sound....and it sounded better to me. The ability to use the DAC out of the Compass and control the volume is why I spent a few more bucks to get the NHT PVC. IMHO, it was worth it.

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #25 of 36
You might want to consider the PreSonus Central Station, as well. It has two discrete headphone amps, a good upsampling DAC and a wonderful relay-based volume control. The relay-based volume control is typically found on much more expensive units - it's probably worth the price alone. It'll also allow you to connect a couple of other sources.

I had one for awhile, but sold it when I moved from computer-as-source to vinyl and SACD. Still, I think it is a quality unit that doesn't get as much attention as it should. A lot of pro gear gets dismissed for being pro gear, but its quality speaks for itself.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #26 of 36
Here is a review of the PreSonus Central Station which compares that unit's DAC to that in the Benchmark:

Feature: Presonus Central Station - Studio Control @ SonicState.com

Here's an excerpt:

"In direct comparison with the (Benchmark) DAC-1, I would have to say that the converters in the Central Station are not quite up to that level. The CS converters are clean and neutral sounding, but sound a bit less smooth and subjectively slightly less pleasing. But remember, the DAC-1 cost more than the Central Station and CSR-1 combined. The Central Station converters are on a par or better than any of the other converters in my studio, and I listen through the CS conversion all the time now. In truth, you would have to spend considerably more money on a dedicated DA converter to beat the converters in the CS. That says a lot."

Here's a review on Headfi:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ne-amp-153207/

The PreSonus has a list price of $700 and a quick check shows it is available for $500.

That's more than I want to spend and the unit is larger and more complex than I'd want. But the price does include the DAC so it looks like a bargain.

Thanks for the recommendation. Anyone else have thoughts on a passive volume control unit for active speakers?

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said in my earlier post, I tried this and it sounded dreadful to my ears. Clarity suffered the most...I could actually hear some distortion. It was bad enough that I switched to my onboard sound....and it sounded better to me. The ability to use the DAC out of the Compass and control the volume is why I spent a few more bucks to get the NHT PVC. IMHO, it was worth it.

Was the SQ difference noticeable at low audio levels using the NHT compared to the source's volume control?

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the SQ difference noticeable at low audio levels using the NHT compared to the source's volume control?

There was a difference when using the A2 volume vs. the NHT. The best sound I could get out of them was setting the A2 volume to 3/4 and leaving it there and then using the NHT volume for everyday adjustment. I noticed some SQ degradation when leaving the A2 volume under 1/2 and using the NHT volume. Seems the higher the volume setting on the A2, the better they sounded to my ears.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems the higher the volume setting on the A2, the better they sounded to my ears.

Of course, they are heavily equalized in the built-in amplifier to compensate the very small box.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #30 of 36
Re the A2s, I'm advised that you should max out all your computer volumes -- main, media and USB, if there is one.

I did this with the Total Bithead that just arrived. It was the only way I could get enough volume from the speakers, but once done, it was plenty loud. SQ is a big improvement from both the crummy laptop soundcard and, more recently, the X-Fi X-Mod I've been using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back